Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual monitor with any old AGP and PCI combo?
Drew   2002-09-25 05:13
I have a 2TNT Vanta AGP card. A guy at Best Buy told me that I HAD to have a card that was SPECIFICALLY capable of dual monitor support...so I bought a Radeon 7500 AGP 64mb with dual VGA support (it litterally has two connectors, 1 VGA, 1 DVI). It was a good price...open box buy at $79 with a $20 rebate (total after rebate= $59). But, I found out later that my old card, with just ANY PCI card, would work. (Win98se system, BTW). And now I have a 2TNT laying around. I may use this in building a new system, so it may not be a total waste.

But, here is my question:

Do I really need to keep the 7500? Will the 2TNT IN FACT support dual monitor if I just get the cheapest PCI card?

I do not do anything really fancy...just want the other card for some pallets in photoshop and the occasional Ineternet Explorer window. I don't do any gameing, and I have no clue what the difference is between 2d and 3d cards and all the different memories, etc. (other than the obvious :).

On the other hand, the open box buy for another card, allowing me to use the 2TNT in another system was a pretty good buy, after rebate and all. Especiually since a plain old PCI card is still going to be $30-40. But if the motherboard I buy for the new system has built in video, then this 2TNT will be just sitting around.

So what do you all think?

THanks for any feedback!!
Drew
Black Scorpion   2002-09-26 20:14
Hi,

It's your decision what to do, any solution would work... Of course for multiscreen you can use Any PCI cards in addon, having 1Agp(1mon support) with 2PCI cards will work the same way than having 1Agp(2mon support) with 1PCI card...

Now the first solution will take one PCI slot more, so one system ressource more (icq)... I'd opt for using ONE agp (2mon support) with one PCI... even if not gaming... you don't know what you'll do later on..... Now the result is the same..

Hope it helped
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual monitor with any old AGP and PCI combo?