Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Applying XP Pro SP1 disabled my PCI video card
Doug   2002-09-29 18:32
Disabled may sound misleading; it is still enabled in the device manager but the monitor is grayed out in in display properties -> Settings.

My triple monitor setup was working fine until installing SP1, but now I can't get it working again.

I have a Matrox G550 dual head AGP plus a Trident 3D Image975 PCI card. The BIOS is set to boot to PCI. This is the only way I could get it to work originally. The PCI card is in the first PCI slot. I've also tried the next slot (leaving a gap between the AGP and PCI cards).

Device manager does not show any conflicts or exclamation points. Using Display Properties -> Settings, the PCI based display is grayed out. Attempting to extend the desktop to it goes through the motions, but then grays out again with no messages.

The XP event viewer does not record anything either.

Is anyone using AGP and PCI under XP Pro SP1?
Christian Studer   2002-09-29 22:38
Works fine for me, XP SP1 + AGP GeForce3 + 2x PCI GeForce2 MX.

Did you check if updated drivers are available for the Trident card?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
xbpv060   2002-10-06 03:30
if you have switched on "large system cache", switch off and it should work. hope so.
Doug   2002-10-07 15:41
if you have switched on "large system cache", switch off and it should work.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm not sure I know which setting you mean. Under System Properties, Advanced tab, Performance settings dialog, there is another Advanced tab.

It lets you adjust memory usage for best performance of programs or system cache. Mine was set to programs. Virtual memory can be set for system managed or custom size. Mine was a custom size. No matter how I set them, it does not enable the PCI monitor.

The machine boots to the PCI card. The XP startup logo is on the PCI card. When the secondary monitors get a signal, the PCI loses it. XP then uses just my second & third monitor on the dual-heap AGP card.

Display properties shows monitor one as grayed out. Ultramon shows it as disabled.

Frustrating.
Doug   2002-10-08 13:19
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have found a temporary circumvention. I'll post it here for the sake of the archives.

Here's what I need to do to make it work:
- Disable PCI card from profile in Hardware Manager
- Reboot XP; PCI card does not show in display settings or under UltraMon
- Return to Hardware Manager and enable adapter (no reboot required)
- Change Display Settings (which now shows the card) to extend the desktop to include the monitor; rearrange relative monitor positions
- Exit and restart UltraMon

That works only until I need to reboot the system. Then I have to go through the whole process again. So this is more of a circumvention than a fix. I still can't find the real problem.

Maybe the info will help somebody else in the future...

Doug
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Applying XP Pro SP1 disabled my PCI video card