Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 7500 dualhead performance
TBH   2002-10-13 06:52
Card in question is a "Powered by ATI" 7500 64M SDR with the second output being a DVI connector. I'm using it with 2 CRT's (17" Sony's).
Catalyst 6.10.13 XP drivers.

The card didn't come with a DVI -> 15pin adapter, but the vendor threw one in.

The issue is the quality of the 2nd (DVI -> 15pin) output. It's fuzzy and, to my eyes, unusable. I've swapped the output to the monitors, the problem follows, so it would seem to be the card.

Anybody else using a 7500 in a dual CRT configuration? Have you experianced similar problems?

I've ordered a new DVI->15pin adapter from ATI (with an exorbitant $10.00 ship by mail charge)to see if that clears it up.

Meanwhile I'm using a old (circa 1998) PCI Appian Jeronimo Pro (Permidia2; 8M/channel) I've had laying around for ages but never used.
Interestingly, using the Appian, I can run both monitors at the same refresh rate (75Hz) without "beating" artifacts (horizontal bars running through the display) - a first in the many dual CRT monitor rigs I've used.
CerialPhreak   2002-10-14 06:31
If the card is shot well thats that, not much you can do. what brand is the dvi-vga adapter u are using? if its generic you might wanna pick one up off Ati's site, my all-in-wonder radeon came with one and its not fuzzy at all, also i brought my adapter to my friends house who has the 7500 so he could test out the dual monitor stuff and it seemed fine. you might also want to try ajusting the monitor like the nobs and such to see if that fixes it, or it could be a bad monitor. anyway are you using only the 7500 or do you use it with another card? i want to add a 7500 to my system so i can keep the features of the allinwonder and also to have 3 mons.

Good luck
Chris
Jer   2003-02-26 15:32
I have the exact problem. ATI sent me a replacement card and I tried two other monitors. It a problem with the ATI 7500 Port #2. I have the ATI DVI to VGA adapter and it does not help.

Jer
Nick Spencer   2003-03-02 13:11
The ATI 7500 appears to be a terrible multi-monitor PCI card. I have yet to hear of anyone being happy with it (myself included).
I AM looking for a replacement. Suggestions?

Nick

ABIT KR7A w/ Athlon XP 1900+
ATI AIW 8500DV AGP
ATI 7500 PCI dual port (with a VERY fuzzy DVI output...)
3 Viewsonic G810 21" space heaters
Enjoying 4800x1200 nirvana....with a headache.
Lanlan   2003-03-03 03:35
I used to have 7500 DDR as well. Was unhappy with the performance. Running an MX440 dual head and loving it!
David   2003-03-04 23:52
I am currently running an "Powered by ATI" 7500 AGPx4 64MB DDR card in my system. ("Joytech" Apollo manufacturer)

Everything is clear and great. The secondary monitor is connected to a dongle coming out from the PCB board of the AGP card, not from the DVI>VGA adapter.

Works just fine with it. No fuss. Clear image. Seperate Refresh rates

Also the secondary is a 15" monitor.
Igu   2003-07-24 20:33
Sorry i saw this post, this is a post i did earlier which no one saw i don't think...

Igu 2003-03-18 07:43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an AIW 8500 DV and I am thinking of getting two more monitors so that i have 3 total. For the PCI card should I get the dual head Radeon 7500 64MB or two ATI 7000 at 64 MB a piece. I've seen a couple people with the 7000 setup in the Database but they don't really go into any detail with the compatibility of these cards with the AIW8500DV. ANy opinions or experience with this setup would be great! Thanks
Igu 2003-07-25 02:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone have an opinion or any experience with this?

I've seen in multiple posts that the DVI output on the 7500 pci is very blurry. Including this one

I have another concern, I have the 8500DV and I also have another tv wonder which curently work perfectly as PIP, has anyone had any experience with multimonitors and moving a tv tuner window onto another monitor other then the primary monitor? I've seen a lot of people try this, but i'm not convinced that they were using updated catalyst drivers/MMC... anyone had any positive outcomes?

Thanks
Joe Studer   2003-10-02 09:36
I use the 7500 (PCI, not AGP) as my secondary card, to drive the 3d monitor in a 3 monitor setup (primary card is nVidia geforce fx 5200).

The DVI output (to an LCD monitor) is fine. The VGA output to the LCD monitor, however, is slightly fuzzy. Not unusable, but irritating.

Joe Studer
CS   2003-10-09 17:54
Yes I have the same Radeon VE with a DVI port as the second port.

Let me tell you something, this card sucks, because although I have the original DVI-VGA coverter from ATI, the output is fuzzy and blurry.

I emailed ATI so many times about this already, and they completely denied that there is anything wrong with it. This has made me lose confidence in ATI a long time ago.
Nick Spencer   2003-10-10 06:55
Talking with a friend from ATI, he confirmed (unofficially) that the DVI DAC sucked on the 7500 - the design didn't even take into account the high-performance flat panels or DVI2VGA. Not a d&mn thing they can do about it either other than tow the party line.

What's really sad is the combination ignorance / guile they express; depending on who you get from Tech Support, they either don't know any better, or lie through their teeth. Fortunately, the culture is slowly evolving.

I managed to find an ATI 9000 PCI on eBay. Although world's better than the 7500, the DVI is still poor but (barely) useable.

Nick

ABIT KR7A w/ Athlon XP 1900+
ATI AIW 9800 Pro AGP
ATI 9000 PCI
Colorgraphic GT 4 PCI (uninstalled, doesn't play well with other ATI cards)
3 Viewsonic G810 21" space heaters
Enjoying 4800x1200 nirvana - with less of a headache
CS   2003-10-10 13:32
Someone please explain to me why my next dual/multi monitor display card should ever be ATI?

They lost me on the Radeon VE because their outright ignorant / denial attitude made me feel disgusted.
ecarlson   2003-10-11 04:35
It shouldn't be ATI based. It should be NVidia based. NVidia provides good support for dual-output, with lots of added features, and has a good quality signal for both outputs. You can even get dual-DVI cards.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Rob_in_TN   2006-04-17 06:33
I have a system with an AGP 9800PRO and a PCI 7500LE 64MB. I can run two LCDs off the 9800PRO with no performance issues. However, my 3rd LCD runs off the VGA port of the 7500LE and it is so slow. Flipping thru pages within a PDF file is frustrating because the card is so slow that I can actually see it redrawing. Same with using Internet Explorer on it...slow. Even moving BitComet to the 7500LE monitor makes my system sluggish. I'm getting rid of this card ASAP.

Moral of the story: Though a Radeon 7500LE is super cheap, it's also cheap on performance.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 7500 dualhead performance