Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Geforce 2 MX TwinView - i have one now
EZToms   2000-10-29 05:08
Hi guys

I finally get an ASUS geforce 2 MX Twinview, so here's some of my impressions.

I only tested it on win2k 'cause it's my predilection OS.
As stated before, you must have same resolution/refresh rate on both screen, so it's better to have identical monitors. And the resolution is limited to 2048x768 for the spanned desktop.

But all this is not that crappy that it seems 'cause it has some advantages that other dual screen configs don't have.
- Accelerated OpenGL on both Screen, I've tried CAD Appz, worked nicely, and also I managed to run quake 3 on both screen (spanned), worked great also.
- Video can play on both screen and even full screen spanned on the 2 monitors, I had a 16/9 DivX movie, it's great
- Even my PCTV can play on both screen, Full screen spanned also

I have it since a few days only, if anyone has questions...

EZToms
tom   2000-11-03 16:25
Just got my MX also . I'm running win2k and wanted to know if you've experienced the problem of maximizing windows across both displays.

In win98/me, If i Maximize in the primary, the window stays in the primary, same for the 2ndary. Unfortunately, if I do the same in win2k, it maximizes across both displays which is pretty annoying since I now have to manually resize a window if I want it to stay in one display.

Also, when I get pop up messages or some installation (install shield) programs, the dialog is centered across both screens which makes it hard to read/interface with.
EZToms   2000-11-06 15:11
Yeah, i have the same problem as you, I'd like to find a workaround, but i doubt it exists.
In win2k, both screen are recognised as a single one, it behaves just like if you had one monitor running at 2048x768. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Every kind of appz can run on any screen, opengl stuff etc... but you can't have a game on a screen and the desktop on the other, or a movie full screen... the most annoying thing is movies in 4/3, in full screen, it maximises across both screen but the image it still the size of a single screen... In 16/9, it's great 'cause the movie takes all the desktop surface and you can see your movie widescreen, don't have a dvd player, should try with one.
LongHAUL   2000-11-10 23:39
Bugger!!!! You mean that I can't have two 1280x1024 screens?

Hmmm.

What is the limiting factor to 2x1024x768?

I assume it can do 100Hz at this rez too?

Cheers

Micheal Hall
EZToms   2000-11-11 09:42
The limiting factor is the maximum resolution of the card. It consider your desktop as a single screen.

EZToms
Evan Kittleman   2000-11-15 00:51
If you use NVIDIA's reference drivers v6.34 or above, go into:

desktop properties
GeForce 2 MX
Additional properties
Other options

and enable the QuickTweak icon in the taskbar. Once you do that, right click the icon and enable the Desktop Manager.

The Desktop manager will keep MOST apps maximizing in the display they are in. It will also stop a lot of pop-ups from spanning displays. It doesn't always work, but it is better than default.

Also, I've been able to get 2560x1024 resolution with the ASUS V7100 /2V1D card.

Hope this helps!
EZToms   2000-11-22 19:25
Yep, it's right, i've put the 7.17 drivers, now everything is great with geforce 2 MX twinview under Win2K. Windows maximise in their own display, message are no longer centered between the 2 screens, and best of all, you can pull up the resolution up to 2560x1024. You still have the limitation of having the same settings on both screen, but it's much better now.

EZToms
IITravel   2000-11-29 11:17
Where can I find the 7.1X drivers, thanks...
EZToms   2000-12-04 00:01
I get them from this site
http://www.nvchips-fr.com/phpdownload/downloads.php3

it's in french sorry, look for detonator beta (local)

These drivers are beta and are designed for directX 8, so you should get it also.

EZToms
Cephas Reis   2000-12-16 03:17
Problem:
Windows2000 Pro (w/sp1) does not allow me to change from "Standard" to "Clone", "Horizontal Span", or "Vertical Span".

Hardware:
Abit BX133 MB, 256 MB of RAM, Pci SCSI card, IDE DVD_ROM, CD-R (on SCSI card), Network card(10/100), Ls-120, InnoVision Dual-head GeForce2 MX w/32Mb (the dual analog monitor version), hooked to 2-19" AcerView 99c Monitors.

Software:
Windows 2000 Professional with Sp1, 128-bit Enc. installed, IE 5.5 w/Sp1, DirectX 8.0

Drivers:
Have tried the Det. 6.18, 6.31, Beta 7.17.
(Same problem with each.)

Problem:
Underneath ->Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, TwinView, Only 1 monitor is shown, and I can only "select" Standard for the different modes. All my hardware has been tested, and works, except for the TwinView feature. Also all cables are hooked up to the right place.

Thanks for your time, consideration, and input on this matter.

-Cephas Reis
Cephas Reis   2000-12-18 13:14
An update:

Well, I've gotten the system to reconignize the 2nd monitor (switched from a BNC cable to a 15 HDD cable), but it only works in clone mode. If I switch to Span (either Horizontal, or Vertical) the Display doesn't change (i.e. stays in clone mode.) If I start from "Standard" the 2nd monitor doesn't 'start-up' or change in anyway.If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
-Cephas
Colin Dunlop   2001-01-04 22:30
Hi there,

I have the exact same problem if w2k. I have a
new ELSA SynergyIII MXI 32MB and cannot get twin
view to do anything with the second monitor. I
have DX8 and have tried the latest Elsa drivers
and those 717beta drivers. I have two identical
SGI GDM-4011P monitors and have tried a variety
of cables without any luck.

Basically when I rescan for another monitor it
does nothing.

Any pointers. I have an AMD751 motherboard and
Athlon700 if that matters a jot with W2KProf+SP1
+DX8.

Colin Dunlop
Jim   2001-01-05 03:13
Well, based on toms report, I ordered an asus agp-7100/2v1d and installed it on my w2k system with the beta 7.17 drivers. However, it does not appear to fix any of the problems, except I can get 2560x1024 resolution. My task bar goes across two windows, when I maximize a window, it goes across both screens, and dialogs split the two screens. Any ideas?

Colin, I had the same problems as you at first... not getting it to recognize the 2nd monitor. Thought my board was broke. Scan did not find it. What I did, which I think caused it to recognize the 2nd display was select horizontal and then click APPLY and I think that did it. Keep fiddling, it will discover it eventually.
Jim   2001-01-05 04:36
Ok, things are now working as I expected. I forgot to start TWEAK as was described above by Evan (11/15).

After my 1/2 day of playing with it, I think for W2K it is probably better to just add a second PCI card as opposed to using a dual card. This is based on my use as a programmer wanting more real estate on the screen.

I would consider what I have as a 95% solution.
Hivey   2001-01-06 02:07
if the GF MX twinview can only go as far ax 2048x768 you should get the G400 dualhead
i have that one and can do 2x 1600*1200 if i want (not that i can read the shit on my screen at that resolution tho, 17")

but then again, you should get 2 videocards instead of 1 with dualhead/twinview, in win2k, they suck
EZToms   2001-01-08 15:20
the twinview under win2k has good sides and bad sides. bad side is that's it's not a true multimon and you don't have as much function as you should have. However having the possiblity to use OpenGl on both screen could be interesting for some people.

EZToms
Sören Meyer-Eppler   2001-01-08 22:08
How did you guys get the 2048x768 @ 100Hz horizontal span mode to work? I can get clone working in that resolution, but spanning only works in 1600x600 - higher resolutions aren't even offered.
I'm using Win2Kpro SP1 and nVidia 6.31 drivers with an Asus V7100/2V1D. Both monitors are perfectly capable of the desired mode (...clone already works).

How can I force the dialog to offer me the other resolutions?

Thank you for any hints/tips,

BuschnicK
EZToms   2001-01-09 01:39
Maybe you should try later drivers, here I have beta 7.17 with DirectX8 and I can go up to 2560x1024, but you should be able to get 2048x768 normaly

EZToms
whistle   2001-07-08 06:19
well I had the same disapointing experience in win2k, the latest released drivers from nvidia solved some problems such as the task bar spanning across both screens, the desktop manager took care of the maximizing issue of windows,.
Still my popups (and win2k login) and my full screen videos (here's the real pain) are split in the middle, one half on each screen......any way to resolved this ???

whistle
Hanno Stock   2001-08-10 05:29
Hi,

I also had the problem my ELSA Gladiac511TWIN not recognizing the second monitor. Found out that the monitor switched to sleep mode if there is no signal.
Solution: Switching on the power of the monitor and rescanning the displays just half a second later.
Now I got new drivers 5.13 and they have a "force recognizing second monitor" checkbox.

Hanno.
cory   2001-12-19 12:47
hi guys,
i was looking into twinview for kind of a unique application. i heard you guys say that windows 2000 doesn't support different resolutions on two monitors. will it support different resolutions if i'm in clone mode? what i want is to use my tv at low resolution for couch internet surfing, but still use my 21" trinitron for some high end CAD work in win2K. I don't typically have them on at the same time, but i don't want to bother with having to switch back and forth all the time,,, any ideas?
cory
Sheff   2002-04-23 20:17
I have Twinview working fine in my Leadtek. I can also get 3200 x 1024, but it doesn't look as good as 2560 x 1024.

Yes I still get the split dialog screens.

Someday I will get 2 22 inch LCD's that do 1600 x 1024. The only one I know of is Aquaview and they're $3000 each. Anyone else know of any other LCD Manufacturers?

nVidia 6.13.10.2311, bios 3.11.00.18
Nite   2002-04-23 20:23
DONZ spring to mind first :) Then there is Viewsonic and Samsung that produces quality LCDs.

www.donz.com
www.viewsonic.com
www.samsung.com

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Geforce 2 MX TwinView - i have one now