Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Which TV Tuner to get w/ two vid cards?
Jon Danniken   2002-10-19 02:38
Howdy,

After reading the suggestions on this forum, I ordered a GF2MX400 (PCI) to compliment my GF2Ti (AGP) card on my WinXP box. I already had the Ti, and since I need it for GL games, a radeon w/ TV tuner wasn't an option for my PCI slot.

So now I would like to pick up a TV tuner, and I am hoping someone can be kind enough to suggest to me a PCI TV Tuner card that you think might work with my setup. Or for that matter, just let me know if any old standalone tuner will probably work; I'm not going for high value on the tuner, just something to play around with.

Thanks,

Jon.
Scratch   2002-10-22 01:56
In refrence to the TV. Cards.

I'm running a GForce4Ti4600 and a GForce4MX420 with THree monitors attached to the system. I went out and bought an ATI TV-Wonder-USB and it works fine on all three monitors...

Scratch
Malibujack   2002-10-25 05:00
Anything that does not require HARDWARE OVERLAY should work. Hardware overlays are a way of "cheating" by placing a window on the screen which size and location are synchronized with the video window. Software only solutions are prone to getting tearing of the video, or other problems if you scale it up. Although I haven't tested many of the cards, it makes sense that any USB Based tuner should work. I am uncertain of the Hauppauge WinTV cards, however I do know that they use a chipset that is capable of not using hardware overlay to display video. Any card that uses "Video Overlay" like the new DivX Playback cards, and most older TV cards (There's a feature cable or a daisychain cable to the video card) Will not work correctly on the "Second" monitor. Of course, All-In-Wonder cards have the hardware overlay built in, so a secondary card probably won't work. But some of the ATI cards do have multiple monitor features (VGA and TV out) which probably would work with its built in tuner on both displays.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Which TV Tuner to get w/ two vid cards?