Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Which is better - two cards or one?
Patrick   2002-10-20 03:28
Hi all,

I am currently using a MSI GeFOrce4 Ti4200 with dual VGA right now for my dual monitor setup, and not really having any problems. I have always been curious though if this is the best way to have dual monitors, since it seems like the majority of people are using two video cards. I have a old PCI GeForce2 MX lying around, would there be any benefit to me using that for my second monitor? Or am I fine with just using the single card I have now? The only thing that a single card can't seem to do is 3D on more then one monitor at a time, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Any feedback you guys could give would be appreciated, thanks alot.
Christian Studer   2002-10-20 12:08
Depends on your video card(s) and your needs.

One disadvantage for me is the lack of video overlays on the second monitor with most dualhead cards (there are exceptions, the Parhelia for example).

On the other hand, there are also features you'll only get with a dualhead card, such as cloning and stretched mode.

You could always use the PCI card for a 3rd monitor...

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
kevh   2002-11-03 10:02
until today i was wondering the same thing.

well i was running a 19" sony and a 15" flat panel off of my geforce4 4400 (leadtek) and never too much of a problem-actually worked great. then i went to run ut2003 and no matter how low i set everything, it ran like crap. picked up a eVGA.com geforce2 mx200 pci(woohoo-smoker!!) to run the flat panel (i dont game on it anyway and the max res is 1024X768 which fits perfectly with the mx200) for 35 clams. talk about a major difference!! now i can run ut2003 with everything cranked all the way up and it is smooth as silk and the flat panel looks good too.

one thing...to get it to work i had to set my bios to run the agp (leadtek) as primary which is contrary to what most people are able to do. hmmm dunno, but it works VERY well. even sped up the rest of the system (apps, menus, os, etc) which used to drag every now and then
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Which is better - two cards or one?