Forums -> Multiple monitors -> xp wont let me install 2nd device,data is invalid??????
keith   2002-10-25 21:36
Hi, I am trying to install an sis305 pci as 2nd on a gef4ti4600. No matter what i do it wont install and keeps saying the data is invalid.I have tried a riva tnt and it does the same also.Pci is first in bios and i have changed the cards around slots.I recently installed xp sp1.This is really peeing me off now,manufacturer gives me stupid standard idiot type answers,(check the card is inserted?!!!!!). i even uninstalled the ge4 ands still the card is coming up with invalid data, it is supposed to be xp compatible

any help,ideas would be appreciated

Keith
sickpuppet   2002-10-26 04:26
as far as i know, that happens due to admin permissions.

to solve the problem, run regedit, and get to:
hkey_local_machine/
system/
currentcontrolset/
enum/
pci/

here you will see records starting with "ven". now, starting from the beginning, expand each record, and click on the sub record(s). You will see details on right side of the screen. Look for the string "devicedesc". On the data column, you will see what type of device is this. Look for the name of your device in the records below. You may see it as a "display adapter", you may find exact model of your card. When you find it, right click on the subrecord and select "permissions". Check the "allow" option of "full control". Click ok and you're done. If that doesn't work, look for further subrecords. There may be more than one.

good luck.
keith   2002-10-26 10:07
thanks

in the morning i will try it , good on you
keith   2002-10-26 10:26
sickpuppet

thanks so much, it worked beutifully, i cant thank you enough

much appreciated

even m$ couldnt answer my question

thanks Keith
kevh   2002-11-03 09:55
sick

thx brudda-i owe ya 1!!!!!!!

i was beating my head against the wall until i came across this post
sickpuppet   2002-11-07 07:59
it's really nice to see you -that- happy :)

you're welcome :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> xp wont let me install 2nd device,data is invalid??????