Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATTENTION! nForce2-based motherboards & PCI VGA
Nite   2002-11-28 22:12
After buying a new computer with ASUS A7N8X nForce2 motherboard, I noticed that on the manual it says that nForce2-based motherboards DO NOT support PCI VGA cards... (yet the BIOS has that option..)

Just to make sure. Ask around before buying nForce2, if you plan to use PCI adapters.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
[ Multi-Monitor Gaming Web ]
Christian Studer   2002-11-29 00:22
Did you already test if it really doesn't work? Seems quite strange that it wouldn't support PCI video cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Nite   2002-11-29 03:00
No, I didn't have time yet. And not going to on weekend. Maybe next week. I'm guessing that it means something else, since nobody else has reported this, and the BIOS does have the option "PCI VGA card" under "Init Display first".
And it *is* standard PCI bus, so why shouldn't it work.

But, all the same, from the Manual:

"6.2 Troubleshooting:

4) This motherboard does not support PCI VGA cards due to an nVidia chipset limitation"

If someone else has a nForce2 chipset-equipped MB, please, check your manuals and report here, if You found anything similiar.

Nite - "can't rain all the time"
[ Multi-Monitor Gaming Web ]
jacktown   2003-01-22 20:37
I saw this on the monarchcomputer.com site when purchasing a recent system upgrade:

"Tech Note: Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, Audigy, and Audigy 2 cards, when installed in an nForce2 motherboard, will display an exclamation mark (!) in all versions of Windows. The joystick port on the Sound Blaster card will not work, but the onboard joystick port will be enabled for your use.

Please also note that the nForce2 chipset does not support PCI VGA cards. Monarch's and Asus's testing labs have found that Windows XP will not shut down with a PCI VGA video card. Windows 2000 will crash, forcing you to reload the operating system."

It influenced my decision to go with an Asus A7V8x instead of the A7N8x MB. I didn't want to lose my dual monitor setup!

Here's the link
Merrin   2003-01-25 00:28
I'm running an EPOX 8RKDA+ board that has an NForce 2 chipset with a Gigabyte Radeon 9700pro and a PCI Geforce2MX 400.

No probs either, both Direct 3d and opengl work faultlessly. I wasn't too concerned about losing my multiple monitor setup as the 9700 has two vga ports anyway, but it was nice to discover that it worked with the spare monitor and GF2 I had lying around to get my triple monitor setup back.

Just one tip, my setup crashes if PCIinit first is on in the BIOS. It works fine with AGP first.

Merrin
voz   2003-02-09 20:00
Same here, PC works fine with AGP MSI geforce3 ti200 and diamond stealth III S530 PCI. Just won't boot from PCI card and display performance for the PCI card is rather poor (choppy movie playback, slow screen refresh), that's a problem I haven't been able to solve yet.
deekay   2003-02-12 19:01
we tested this on some PCI cards with Asus A7N8X

Cards like S3 worked good, but there were some problems with Matrox G200 cards (need to upgrade bios on the card to work).
So test your PCI card you want to use... some worked, other don't
C-Whisper   2003-05-10 14:40
I'm using the Msi K7n2g-l w/ the nforce 2 chipest and 512 ddr ram 32 megs shared with onboard video. the onboard video works great with no probs when using the tv out as a second monitor. I had a few old cards laying round so i decide to try using one for a dual monitor setup used a couple old old trident cards which i couldn't get winxp to even start, a old creative dvd decoder card win xp started but wouldn't use the vga out as an extra monitor, i tried a couple older 1-8 meg cards to no avail all getting the exclamation point and error message windows was unable to start this device. I can how ever boot off pci using them but am unable to have the primary monitor and adapter be the onboard video. I would get a better pci card but don't feel like listening to my parts supply when i try all the card he has one at a time. if anyone has any suggestions on cheap cards or how to rig xp pls do tell
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATTENTION! nForce2-based motherboards & PCI VGA