Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Hardware acceleration problems on one card...
Axe   2002-12-03 15:04
Hey there,

I just picked up a crappy lil 2Meg Cirrus 5446 PCI to get a bit of extra desktop space for photoshop palettes, keeping an eye on E-Mail/IRC while I'm playing a game or watching a movie full-screen. So, here's my basic system info...

Mobo:Asus A7V with Athlon 950Mhz
RAM:512Meg PC133
AGP4x:ATI Radeon DDR VIVO (64Meg) (19" Mon. 1600x120060Hz)
PCI:Cirrus Logic 5446 (2Meg) (15" Mon. 1024x768@75Hz)

In my bios I have to set the Cirrus as the primary display driver or it doesn't work. I've got the ATI set as my primary display card in Win2K so that it comes up as my main display.

Whenever I go to run a game (Test drive 6, Unreal Tourney 2003), I get errors telling me I need a Direct3D card (the loading screen, etc. comes up on the Radeon monitor). When I go to play a movie, like a DivX in media player, the image is scaled up to full screen and refreshes at about 4 or 5fps, instead of switching to the overlay mode which is nice n' smooth.

If I disable the PCI card through the monitor, movies play fine, nice n' smooth, and games load up no problem.

The whole reason I setup a second monitor was so I could keep an eye on E-Mail/IRC while I was busy full-screen on the other monitor, but given what happens, it's kinda useless now. I can only use the Cirrus if I DON'T want to do something full-screen on the Radeon.

So, does anybody have any ideas about how I might be able to fix this?

Also, even if I replace the card with something that was Direct3D compatible, like say a 32Meg PCI Radeon, is the 64Meg DDR AGP gonna be brought down to the level of the 32Meg and slow everything down on that screen?

Thanks.

John - http://www.reptilerooms.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Hardware acceleration problems on one card...