Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 9700 and ?? for three monitors
Randell Hodges   2002-12-20 19:03
What would you recommend the next card(s) to support three monitors. Is the 2nd output on the card good enough for gaming?

I tried stretching UT2003 and as soon as the window hit the 2nd monitor it started running like crap, so my thoughts are I'll need two additional cards right?

Windows XP
2.4Ghz P4
512MB RAM
Radeon 9700 Pro

Randell
ferrari   2002-12-21 17:41
hmm, well, my response to this is that I am not even sure that ati 9700 will let another pci card co exist with it. I still can't get my 4 meg s3 virge pci to work in the same system with the ati. with and without bios enable boot pci/agp first. i would have the s3 to work, but ati would not work and say in the device manager that i need to disable another device for it to work. ati www says that they don't support using another pci card with 9700. However i did find one profile on the database with some guy using it with some matrox card. Anyway, i am going to go to the store and get a new pci card tomorrow to test things out. Hopefully, it;s just my shitty s3 card that is the problem.
Ziptar   2002-12-26 02:20
It's not just your S3 card... I can't get my Voodoo3 PCI to work either..
Johnny   2003-02-03 08:35
I have a ati radeon 9700 pro and a voodoo 4 4500 working fine right now
Nick Spencer   2003-02-04 12:21
Randell, It sounds like you want to play games across multiple monitors. the bad news is, it cannot be done with ATI products, or for that matter any multi-card setup. On your setup, the moment you spread the game window across to your second monitor, the system starts trying to feed video data to two separate video driver circuits, which takes anywhere from two to ten times as long per frame (aka bad frame rates). Try to do that on multiple video cards, and the system either won't let the window expand to the other monitors, or it freezes up.
If you really want to play games across multiple screens, you will need a single card that is designed to output seamlessly to multiple monitors. Check out Matrox for an example.
Good luck.

Nick

ABIT KR7A w/ Athlon XP 1900+
ATI AIW 8500DV AGP
ATI 7500 PCI dual port (with a VERY fuzzy DVI output...)
3 Viewsonic G810 21" space heaters
Enjoying 4800x1200 nirvana....with a headache.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 9700 and ?? for three monitors