Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitor Graphic Card?
Ken   2002-12-31 13:25
Been out of the loop as far as the new breed of graphic cards, so I need to ask those with some experience. I plan to set up a dual monitor setup for use with Photoshop. I believe I would rather just replace my existing ATI Radeon 32mg) card with one that can do it all. So far I have read the some ATI cards can support two CRT monitors (with adaptor for 2nd monitor). Matrox also has there Parhelia card. Any others worthy of consideration? My main concern with the card is good 2-D image quality as I would be working on photos. One question about the ATI cards..I am considering the All-in-WOnder 8500 and 8500DV. I did read on one site the 8500 does not support two CRT monitors, but am not sure about the 8500DV? The ATI web site was not any help. A Any recommendations or bad experiences would be appreciated.

ken
Paul D   2002-12-31 14:46
IMHO, if you're not a gamer and you want 2D quality you can't go past anything by Matrox.

I'm running dual 17" monitors (nothing special, not even a matched pair) on a Matrox G450. My son-in-law is a professional photographer, and does a lot of his retouching on this machine on Photoshop 5.5 - he loves the setup.

Paul D
Joe   2003-01-02 06:29
One added thing on the Matrox ones.

The GXXX series (I've tested the G200, G400, G450, and G550) have some odd behaviours regarding powerpoint in dualhead mode.

Alpha problems etc. This is just in powerpoint though. If your not using it then there shouldn't be much of a problem. Havn't tested the Parhelion.

Aside from powerpoint if the resolution is to high (1280X1024) video does a non-smoothing thing. Hopefully these things are not in the Parhelion.

Joe.
Ken   2003-01-02 11:19
Given the research I have done, I went with the Matrox Parhelia. One expensive bugger, but I want quality 2D. I will post my thoughts on this card when I have a chance to test it out.

Ken
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitor Graphic Card?