Forums -> Multiple monitors -> WinXP Advantages?
Mark Jerde   2003-01-04 03:37
Does WinXP have any multiple-monitor advantages over Win2000? For example, does XP allow rotating a monitor 90 degrees?

Thanks.

-- Mark
Christian Studer   2003-01-04 04:55
XP doesn't support rotation, you'll need third-party software or display drivers which support it.

One advantage of XP is better support for dualhead cards, you won't have the problem with both monitors being recognized as a single large one.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Mark Jerde   2003-01-05 02:55
Interesting. Do you know if that applies to my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8100? It's about a year and a half old.

Thanks.

-- Mark
Christian Studer   2003-01-06 23:43
If you have an Nvidia video card, try using the latest drivers first, Nvidia does have true multi-monitor support for Windows 2000, at least for their desktop video cards.

If you have an ATI video card, both monitors should be recognized by Windows XP. Make sure you have the latest drivers though: I have a Latitude with an old ATI Mobility-M1 myself, and the Dell-provided drivers didn't support multi-monitor with XP.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Mark Jerde   2003-01-10 09:53
The laptop has an Nvidia GeForce2 Go, and that driver isn't available from Nvidia. The latest driver from Dell is over a year old and doesn't support true mm in Win2000 -- I just downloaded & tried it. :-(

Thanks.

-- Mark
neal   2003-01-11 03:27
I have an Inspiron 8000 with a GForce2 Go 32mb 15" UXGA 1600x1200. One of the main reasons I upgraded to xp was because the Multi-monitor support is much better. Dell's drivers are awful though. Alpha blended graphic effects are very slow. If you turned down the acceleration down a notch in the trouble-shooter it then was better. I also would frequently get locked up graphics (eventually briefly changing the resolution would reset the display). I found some custom NVIDIA drivers from someone on Dell's video newsgroup which are infinitely better. The drivers also support rotating of monitors landscape, even on a conventional CRT.

Regards
Neal
Mark Jerde   2003-01-11 04:24
Thanks for the info. Good reason to upgrade to XP.

I went cheap and just got the 16 MB GeForce2 Go version on my 8100. I hope that doesn't make a difference.

If I upgrade I'll pester you for the link to the drivers. ;-) It won't be for a couple more paychecks at least...

Thanks again.

-- Mark
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> WinXP Advantages?