Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Need Help getting dual monitor setup....
KenL   2003-02-03 13:57
I have an ATI 9500 Pro that's working great with 2 monitors. Using my 21" as my primary and using a 17" as the secondary of the DVI port. Using the monitor properties I was able to extend the desktop and can now drag windows to the secondary with no problems. I installed UltraMon and that has some nice features as well - particularly the taskbar on the secondary monitor.

Now, this is the first dual monitor configuration I've setup so I'm pretty new to how all of this works. I like to play games on occasion, and every game that I've installed so far when it attempts to run it dies or minimizes itself whether I have the secondary monitor enabled or disabled.

Is there any configuration issues that you have to be aware of with dual monitors so that you can run OpenGL or Direct3D applications that go full screen when you have dual monitor configuration?

I've searched around the board but have yet to find anyone that's discussed this topic. I'd assume that it would have to be something pretty easy but with my limited experience (just installed the card tonight) I figured I'd ask and hopefully get a good answer here.

Thanks much in advance.
KenL   2003-02-03 14:22
Actually, after messing around a little (not sure what changes I made other than rebooting for other things...) I can run the games on my primary monitor but when I enable the secondary monitor the games will sometimes launch but then die or remain minimized - but they never function properly - ala, game is running like it's supposed to in the primary monitor with secondary monitor showing windows etc...

Anyone have any idea what to do here? It may be something specific with the ATI software or something but this would seem like a common problem that people would face.
Nick Spencer   2003-02-04 12:11
Ken, I would recommend upgrading the drivers. CATALYST 3.0a are the current drivers you need, verify that you have those. You also may want to upgrade to DirectX 9, that may solve other issues.
You may already be aware of this, but most games will not run across multiple monitors. Multiple windows, yes (such as Microsoft Flight Simulator, opening multiple windows for different viewpoints). When you start most full-screen games, it will only appear on the primary monitor.
Most people are confused on this point. I had to learn it the hard way.
Good Luck.

Nick

ABIT KR7A w/ Athlon XP 1900+
ATI AIW 8500DV AGP
ATI 7500 PCI dual port (with a VERY fuzzy DVI output...)
3 Viewsonic G810 21" space heaters
Enjoying 4800x1200 nirvana....with a headache.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Need Help getting dual monitor setup....