Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Newbie: Geforce 2 MX 400 howto?
Peter Lund   2003-02-05 09:26
Hi, this is a newbie question heh, I got a Geforce 2 MX 400 graphic card & 2 monitors, but when i look on the graphic card it have a normal monitor output + a yellow one + a video one.
The question is: what cable do i need to plug the second monitor into the graphic card??? I'm a true newbie so a technical name for the cable would be cool so i could send that name to a shop.

I'm running Windows XP and am assuming i can use the twinview features to make my desktop become twice as big when i get it to work.

Regards
Peter Lund
mu-sash-i   2003-02-05 12:30
The yellow one is a component out for a TV (or reciever)and the other one (the black circle) is an S-Video out for your TV.

If you want to plug in another monitor you need to acquire another graphics card.
Tom Rentfrow   2003-02-09 14:07
Peter,

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I have the same problem. I just bought a system with a Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 420 card. Everything I have read indicated that this is a dual monitor card, but it too has only 1 VGA output terminal. I guess I need a second card as well. Any help from others would be appreciated.

Tom Rentfrow
Xirkan   2003-02-11 01:13
The second (yellow, as you say :-) output may be DVI connector - used for connecting digital LCD panels. It may be possible to connect analog VGA monitor to it using a convertor (DVI-->VGA), but only if it is DVI-I type (supports analog and digital output) connector and not an DVI-D type (supports only digital output). It's impossible to say without seeing it though.
Geoffrey   2003-02-11 01:40
As far as I kown, the Geforce 2 MX 400 with the twin view option was only produced in two version. One version with a 15-pin Sub-D plug (VGA) and a DVI-plug (3x8 pin array with a cross on one side), the other with VGA and Video connectors.
In the former case the easiest solution will be a DVI-VGA cable. In the latter one, you have to either purchase an external s-video signal to RGB converter, or a second graphics card. But keep in mind that with a converter you will loose a lot of quality. And if I am not wrong, you have to reduce the resolution of your desktop to 640x480 to use the video outputs!
The last resolution is to bring your graphics card back to your vendor and tell him, that you want a twin view card which supports two monitors and no video!!
(A two monitor and one video connector solution on one board do I kown from Geforce 4 and higher only. So, I don't think this solution is available for the Geforce 2!!!)
plinko   2003-02-12 12:51
I bought a PowerColor GF2 MX400 64MB twinview that I planned on using as my 2 and 3 monitors. On the back of it there are three ports for plugs. One is your standard CRT monitor, one is the standard S-video plug, the other one is a yellow circular plug that is also for a TV, the yellow one is just like the plugs that come with your Playstation to plug into your TV, you know, the Red, White, Yellow plugs. The plug on the GF2 is just the yellow one.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Newbie: Geforce 2 MX 400 howto?