Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Mon Support for Laptop w/ ATI Mobility M3?
JohnL   2003-02-07 12:01
The laptop is a Dell Latitude C600 with W2K and the ATI driver version is 5.13.1.5023, which is dated 11/18/02.

It recognizes both monitors, but it only mirrors them. Is it possible to have extended view with this configuration?

The Advanced / Displays screen has two buttons for each monitor - a "1" "2" button on each. I select "1" for the Panel and the "2" button for the Monitor, but again, it only seems to mirror. I don't seem to have many other config choices on this screen.

Again, is dual-view possible with the Mobility M3?

Thanks in advance, JohnL
alasken   2003-02-11 03:58
I do not believe so. The following in an excerpt from ATI's FAQ on "Hydravision" their dual monitor software.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/hydravision/faq.html

What products support HYDRAVISION™?
RADEON™ VE, RADEON™ 7000 (dual display configurations), RADEON™ 7500, RADEON™ 8500, ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 7500, ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV, FIRE GL™ 8800, FIRE GL™ 8700.

I was hoping to double up myself. lol

alasken
Christian Studer   2003-02-11 04:57
Probably won't work with Windows 2000, but it should work with XP.

I have a Mobility M1 myself, and can use 2 monitors with extended desktop under XP (with the latest drivers, the ones from Dell don't support it).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
JohnL   2003-02-11 07:47
Where did you get the latest drivers for your Mobility M1, if not from Dell? I tried ATI but perhaps I didn't try hard enough.

Maybe the "latest" driver, not from Dell, will work in Extended Mode with Windows 2000.
Christian Studer   2003-02-11 11:08
Try Windows Update or this site.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Suman Majumdar   2003-02-14 10:12
On a dell inspiron 8000 operated by WIN2K Pro, with ATI Mobility M4, I was able to have the desktop extended to a regular monitor hooked-up to the built-in montior output on the back of the laptop. I went to www.support.dell.com and downloaded the latest driver for M3/M4, filename R54215. This driver was released only a month ago, and the two dell tech support reps I spoke to did not know about it. They flat out told me that one can only mirror the laptop panel on the hooked-up monitor.

That said, I am still unable to make the system recognize the hooked-up monitor as a second one. I tried installing hydravision and got the message that there is only one display. While ATI does not include mobility M4 among the display adapters supporting hydravision, it does say at M4 Features, ATI's MOBILITY M4 integrated dual CRT controller supports up to two, completely independent UXGA displays with different (or the same) display contents and/or display parameters.

I have a feeling that it is possible to have the hooked-up monitor as a second display, but I have no clue at this stage.

Any lead will be truly appreciated.

Suman Majumdar
Jer   2003-03-04 15:13
Works great with Windows XP and Dell's C600 A1 driver.

Jer
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Mon Support for Laptop w/ ATI Mobility M3?