Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Windows move to different monitor after hibernate
Rennie   2016-07-08 23:16
I have a PC with an AMD FirePro W4100 graphics card driving four monitors. Works fine except for one problem. When I put the PC to sleep, and some time passes, it apparently then goes into hibernate mode. Then when it's turned on again some of the windows have been moved to a different monitor.

I was hoping UltraMon would fix this problem, but it doesn't.

I don't know if it's relevant to the problem, but UltraMon identifies the monitors like this:

1 2
3 4

When I right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings" the monitors are numbered like this:

2 1
3 4

I don't care about the different numbering of the monitors. But the movement of the windows when the PC has been put to sleep for a long time really irritates me.

This PC runs Windows 10, by the way.
Christian Studer   2016-07-09 13:47
UltraMon doesn't have an automatic fix for this, but you could manually save/restore window positions using the Save/RestoreWndPos scripts.

You could try automating this by running the scripts via Task Scheduler in response to the workstation lock/unlock events, but I'm not sure if this will work and can't test this myself as I don't have this issue on my system.

The monitor numbering won't cause problems, but you can change it via UltraMon menu > Display Settings, select the monitor whose number you want to change then click on Actions and select Change Monitor Number.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Rennie   2016-08-04 15:49
Hi Christian,

Sorry for the very late reply. I've done what you suggested, and it looks like it's a viable solution to the problem.

I'd like to mention that I'm impressed by how professional the implementation and documentation of UltraMon is.
Christian Studer   2016-08-05 05:12
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it's working.

Rennie   2016-08-06 19:33
Unfortunately, it looks like I spoke too soon. Sometimes (not all the time) some of the instances of Visual Studio 2015 that were previously open full-screen on one of the monitors is "restored" to some kind of minimized/off-screen state. When I hover the mouse over the VS icon on the task bar it shows thumbnails of the various instances, some with a correct thumbnail (they're the ones that were restored OK) and some with something that looks like a close-up view of the upper left corner of the VS instance title bar. Clicking on that results in no action. If I right-click on it and select Move To Monitor... then it gets restored.

I can send you a screen shot by email if that would help.

Any suggestions, please?
Christian Studer   2016-08-07 11:59
When this happens the next time, please try what happens if you run RestoreWndPos manually.

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Windows move to different monitor after hibernate