Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Win2K, Dual Mon & split dialog boxes
FPI   2000-11-30 04:48
Hi, I'm new to this list. Looked through several pages of questions, etc., & didn't see something specifically addressing my problem.

I have a new Dell 220 Workstation with the Matrox G400 DualHead (single chip) card.

Monitors (Cornerstone p1450 & an old Gateway) work fine, EXCEPT that dialog boxes open up split between the two monitors.

To make matters worse, the number 2 monitor is to the left of the #1 monitor, so it's like watching a ping pong match with one eye (or something like that).

Any software that would allow me to assign dialog boxes to one monitor or the other?

Any help much appreciated,

FPI
Dave M   2000-12-12 21:20
The same problem existed with Win NT no matter who's card you use and here's the problem. The Matrox driver does not support "true" multi-monitor even though they say they do. True multi-mon will center the message boxes in one of the displays, depending who's software it is will depend on which display it will appear on.
What Matrox does is fool the OS into thinking it is one big desktop. Kind of a hack. We had to do this with Win NT and also had to try our best to fix the dialog box problem. Some of these messages cannot be trapped. At least that is our experience with Win NT. Since we support true multi-mon in Win 2K we don't have this problem anymore.
I was disapointed when I saw Matrox's drivers. It seemed that they did not want to go the distance.
Consumer pressure towards Matrox for a fix may be your best option.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Win2K, Dual Mon & split dialog boxes