Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Spanning video over two monitors
crazyquiff   2003-02-27 05:22
I have two 17" TFTs driven by an AGP NVIDIA TNT2 M64 and a PCI NVIDIA TNT2 M64 running latest drivers for all kit.

Windows XP SR1
Athlon XP2100

I am trying to span video over the two monitors - to get a virtual widescreen!

I have no problem spanning all apps over the two monitors but the video in say Media Player 9 will not split over. Same with ZoomPlayer 2.9

Has anyone managed this and if so how.

Cheers
Christian Studer   2003-02-27 10:08
VideoSaver can do this (not with DVD though).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
crazyquiff   2003-02-27 19:59
I've tried all the settings in VideoSaver and can get both monitors showing the same images, but not the image acting as if the two monitors are a virtual single monitor.

Any suggesstions?

Cheers

rich
Christian Studer   2003-02-27 22:47
You'll need to change the Style setting for the video to Desktop.

To do this, go to the VideoSaver playlist, double-click the Style column and select Desktop.

crazyquiff   2003-02-28 21:33
Thnks for that - Do have video over both monitors.

My problem now is that the two video streams de-synchronise - I guess that's to do with the video cards?

Both cards are NVIDIA TNT2 64 one AGP and one PCI.
Christian Studer   2003-03-01 00:29
That's a performance issue, can also happen when using Monitor style. Difficult to say though if it's the video cards.

Performance is dependent on 3 factors: CPU speed, support for video overlays on the video cards, and the size/type of video. For example playing a high-resolution video requires a faster system than playing a small 320x240 video clip.

The easiest way to test if video overlays are used is to take a screenshot of the desktop (with PRINTSCREEN) while the video is playing. If the screenshot shows only black instead of the video you know that overlays are being used.

BenLawford   2004-03-17 13:23
I am having problems with the video de-sync'ing as well, I did the screenshot test and get half the movie show up. The primary display is black, the other shows video.

What does this mean? Is there any way to get this sorted out as I would reeeealy like to have a virtual widescreen for film watching. I think i have a decent enough computer to be able to handle it.

Ben
BenLawford   2004-03-17 13:30
I am using a Hercules 9800XT on an AMD 2400+ system, 512MB of RAM.

Ben
Christian Studer   2004-03-17 19:35
Only one monitor uses video overlays. This is normal for a dualhead video card, most cards only support video overlays on one monitor.

This doesn't necessarily cause performance problems though, video size etc. will also affect performance.

I tested a couple of smaller WMV and MPEG clips (640x360, 384x288) on a similar system, seemed to work fine: P4 2.4 GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS 280, both monitors at 1024x768.

Seahorse   2004-03-17 20:05
This is simple to achieve and CAN be done using WMP9 or your preferred player (Media Player Classic is mine).

Right click on the desktop, select Properties, settings tab, advanced button, GeForce tab, nView modes dropdown, select Horizontal Span, Apply, OK. DONE.

This also enables screensavers to span monitors perfectly...;)

-
Rgds Mike
Dead-Fish - Deep Sea Daddies...
BenLawford   2004-03-17 23:17
I'm using an ATI Radeon though. Is there any way to do it on my card?

Ben
Christian Studer   2004-03-18 06:10
ATI doesn't support span mode, VideoSaver doesn't require or use span mode though.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Spanning video over two monitors