Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Montitor - Remote Administration
Matt   2003-03-07 00:08
I have searched and searched to find only two possibilites for remotely administoring a computer with multiple monitors.
1. Famatech - Remote Administrator - new version which is not out yet and there is not a posted release date so for now that is not an option.
2. Multivnc.exe - this version the VNC viewer is a ghost to me since I cannot find it. I have tried to find it on the VNC download page but have not been successful. Can you help.
3. I just found out that Netopia Timbuktu also supports multiple monitors but it has not received great reviews for Windows base remote admin. They say it is great for Mac though.

I have been testing using VNC viewer and MultiMon on the remote computer but that does not seem to work either. I can move the mouse around using hot keys but cannot sw

If you have any suggestions on solving this problem I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Matt
Matt   2003-03-07 19:24
Hi,
MultiVNC does work, i didnt really like they way it worked because i only had a single monitor machine at the other end and had to scroll accross windows, but then i cant think of a better way to do it either. i dont know where i got it from but i think its freeware/shareware so you can get it here although this probably isnt the latest version
MultiVNC
VNC you need to install this as well
Aniso   2003-06-19 15:03
I solved this by installing TightVNC, then replacing the VNCHooks.dll with the one that ships with TridiaVNC pro, then use Saurik's OLD MultiVNC-0.0.1.exe which he still gratefully hosts at: ftp://ftp.saurik.com/pub/vnc/MultiVNC-0.0.1.exe

I am ising X2VNC: http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/x2vnc.html on a Linux (Mandrake 9.1) to control a Win2K box with 3 monitors. ONE mouse. ONE keyboard. FOUR monitors!

If you want the VNCHooks.dll file, contact me at anisoHATES@SPAMlcdforums.com

BTW, TridiaVNC does not currently work with x2vnc and besides, Tridia just feels evil. "...risks of open source software..." my ASS!
rangel   2003-06-19 17:46
Hum I don't know, I tried this multivnc on XP and it didn't work.
That's the problem, we want A SOLUTION THAT WORKS in every windows OS. Not only windows 2000, a slow and old OS that it's the first attempt to make things right(and they did a better job in XP and w2k3) Flamebait and Offtopic, but, moving on.

Matt, actually I have a thread here that discuss this topic, and you can check lots of information there.
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=2750&tmpl=UltraMon

TridiaVNCPro is the only one that worked. with XP and 98.
ControlIT from CA worked with win98, but not properly.

Famatech's new version looks like it's gonna take a while.

But ControlIT from CA(Computer Associates) promises to work with 2 or more monitors, and it's in beta state, close to release, but I didn't tested it yet, 'cause I don't have a license. If somebody can test it please post.

I'm testing a new software that promises to do it, and it's german, so I'm hoping it will work ;-)
Darren Webber   2003-06-19 17:56
Try this VNC http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html
Im not sure if it works or not. i happened to run across an article a while back along the same discussion lines. if it works Great! =D if not sorry. its Free and could be the answer to your problems.

Lian-Li PC65 Vintage Bronze Edition w/Window
Gigabyte GA-8PE800 Ultra
Intel P4b 2.26 512 (Water Cooled)
1024mb Samsung CAS2.5 PC3200 DDR400 (512 x 2)
Radeon 9700pro Primary (Water Cooled)
Intel PRO T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
(gigabit over copper)
Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum.
Windows XP Pro + SP1

Email for Pictures lilbishop@aol.com
rangel   2003-06-19 19:22
Ain't that the default winvnc?
Well, unfornetly that doesn't work.
It has to be modified to work.

About the modified version(works on win2000)
I didn't tested it on windows 2000 but it's reported to work, I tested it on XP and it didn't work, complains about vnchooks.dll, I 'll try
Aniso's tipo to see if it works on XP and w2k3

http://www.tridiavnc.com/list-mailist/2001-02/0365.html

Just the new executable:
ftp://ftp.saurik.com/pub/vnc/MultiVNC-0.0.1.exe
The source code:
ftp://ftp.saurik.com/pub/vnc/MultiVNC-0.0.1.src.zip
rangel   2003-06-19 21:14
Great News. VNC now works with multiple windows and protocols.

With Aniso's Tip I have managed to use two monitors on windows98 and XP.
Thanks Aniso, I have been a little harsh on you, but you gave me a very good tip, I figured how to make it work across all windows versions.

Works great, with version 3.3.3.7 using hextile, and I have managed to make a version using tightvnc jpeg compression.

http://www.epg.com.br/~rangel/VNC_Multimon.exe
Does anybody have a fast link? so I can mirror it?

It's all about the right dlls and exes.

I had to make an omnithread_rt.dll available.

And if you don't use the right client and server it doesn't display the correct cordinates, or it doesn't drag and drop correctly.

I'd like to see some feedback if somebody uses it.

Bye.
ecarlson   2003-06-20 12:42
That sounds cool. Fortunately, I am almost always controlling single-monitor computers from my dual-monitor computers, so I don't yet need dual display remote control, but I'll probably need it someday since I hope to get more people at work to use dual displays.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Aniso   2003-06-22 06:34
rangel:

I am setting up a blazing server under www.lcdriver.com. It is not running just yet (T- about 7 days), but I would be interested in hosting a mirror for such files. Send me an email.

anisoNO@SPAMlcdforums.com

Incidentally, I now know that the problem with my solution is that cut-n-paste between systems and mouse wheel (on the remote) do not work. The VNC server is based on a real old version that did not support those features.
rangel   2003-06-22 18:08
Actually Aniso, I have put a new version in the VNC_Multimon.exe package, the Ok2_jpg dir is based on the Tridia VNC Pro, it's in reality the TVNCPro without the crappy java layer.

It's recent, but I tested the mouse whell and it didn't work either. Dunno about copy paste.
The whell works with tigthvnc server.

What must be done is grab a source of a recent winvnc, and compile the pacth with the new code, that supports all the new features, or maybe use tightvnc source code and apply the patch in it.

I eventually gonna do it, but I'm very busy with other projects right now, if somebody wants to try it, be my guest.

There is a german soft that say that can use dual monitors on remote, but in my tricky config(cirrus(1st) + Geforce(2nd) in win98) it didn't work.
They suggested to try on winxp or win2000 and geforce cards. If you or anybody could test it I'd appreciate that, cause I don't have a win2000/XP multimon machine right now.
The url is:
http://www.remotecontrolsoftware.com/nsm/comp_matrix.htm

Looks good, but no luck here.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Montitor - Remote Administration