Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Xp on Dell Dual Monitor Trouble
Anonymous   2003-03-13 11:35
My primary display is a dell monitor on an AGP GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 card with tv out. i installed a Riva TNT card into the first PCI slot and attached another, older dell monitor. the system recognized and installed the card, and says that they're working properly. when i try to extend the desktop onto the second monitor, nothing appears on the 2nd monitor, and when i try to apply the changes the "extend my desktop" buttons gets unchecked.
I emailed dell and they said that "This is not possible on your system." Is this possible, or is Dell just being stupid? and what component of my system could prevent dual monitor display (P-IV 1.6 GHz, 768 megs sd-ram, XP Home)
Christian Studer   2003-03-15 03:37
In theory this should work fine. Did you try experimenting with different drivers? I would recommend installing the same Nvidia reference driver for both cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Anonymous   2003-03-16 10:36
i tried reinstalling the drivers, with the same results. I got so desperate that i actually tried dell tech support, who said simply "you can't do this with your system"
when i replied saying that the specs for all the separate components and the XP software supproted multiple video cards, they sent me an email saying "Your system architecture cannot support 2 video cards. this is by design"
...i hate dell.

is there any chance that setting the PCI vid card (the secondary monitor that remains blank) as the primary display adapter in the BIOS will help?
Anonymous   2003-03-16 16:52
i got it to work. i just had to switch the primary vid. in the bios. pretty simple actually.
the moral of the story, though: SUCK IT, DELL
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Xp on Dell Dual Monitor Trouble