Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Icon Positions Not Saved
Alan Ritter   2017-10-04 13:53
Occasionally, Ultramon loses its sense of icon positions and scrambles all icons to the left side of the screen. (The "saved" positions are along the right side of the left-hand of two monitors.)

This happens randomly, maybe once a week or once every couple of weeks. Doing a "Desktop Icons|Restore Positions" does nothing. I have to manually rearrange things back to where I want them, do a "Desktop Icons|Save Positions" and then everything is fine for a while.

Windows 10/Pro, dual monitor setup in "extended desktop" mode.

Two questions: 1, How can I prevent this from happening? 2, If it's going to happen, how can I create a manual backup of the icon positions and then restore that file for UltraMon?

This is both annoying and a waste of time having to rearrange icons back the way I wanted them, especially as there are 60-70 icons involved.

/s/jar (Alan Ritter)
Christian Studer   2017-10-05 14:22
This could happen if you occasionally shut down the computer with only a single monitor enabled, UltraMon will then save icon positions during shutdown and overwrite previously saved positions.

To prevent this, go to UltraMon Options > General and uncheck 'preserve position of desktop icons'. You can still save/restore icon positions manually via UltraMon menu > Desktop Icons.

To create a backup of saved icon positions, run regedit.exe, then right-click the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon Components\Saved Positions\Icons and select Export from the menu.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Icon Positions Not Saved