Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Testing v3.4, Issue with Move Button
Joey   2017-12-01 11:50
I'm finding about a 5-second delay when using the "Move Window" button. When pressing the button, it takes approximately 5 seconds to display the window in which I can choose which monitor to send the window to. The maximize button works instantly.

This delay makes the Move Window button virtually useless as it's much faster to just drag the window where you want it. Is there a way to remove this delay, or is this a bug?
Christian Studer   2017-12-01 14:23
Does this happen in all applications, for example also Notepad or Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge? Also let me know which version of Windows you're using.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Joey   2017-12-01 14:36
It's happening with the Windows Explorer window in particular.

I am running Windows 10.
Joey   2017-12-01 14:38
I should also note that my monitors are in a 1 over 3 configuration (i.e., three monitors mounted next to each other I need the bottom with one single monitor on top of the middle monitor).

All monitors are 4k resolution, if that matters. Scaling to 125%.
Christian Studer   2017-12-01 15:24
Do you have any compatibility settings configured for Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) under UltraMon Options > Compatibility?

Joey   2017-12-03 08:39
No. I also just noticed that on a secondary display, when I click the icon of an application the icon switched to the Cortona icon (the little white circle) instead of the application. In stead of maximizing the application, it opens Cortona instead. Also, after clicked the original application is no longer shown the and the Cortona icon has taken it's place.

In fact, when I click on a monitor's task bar where there are no applications open, the Cotana icon is there (just "hidden"). As soon as I click in the area where it would be, sure enough it appears and after being clicked it's now there permanently.
Christian Studer   2017-12-03 12:19
What happens if you configure compatibility settings for explorer.exe and set the option 'use alternative method to add window buttons'?

Regarding the Cortana/search icon: this will be fixed in the next release, happens if you're removing the start button via UltraMon.

Joey   2017-12-04 19:02
No change on the behavior of the move to other monitor box when I used the compatibility option for explorer.exe (and, yes, I killed all explorer.exe processes and restarted them after making the change. Do I need to kill and restart UltraMon as well?.

Regarding the Cortana fix, what is the ETA on that. It's driving me nuts!
Christian Studer   2017-12-06 02:31
Are you using any security software or special settings which might interfere with this?

I don't have a release date estimate, but you could hide the search/Cortana icon as a workaround, though this will also hide it on the primary taskbar.

Joey   2017-12-08 03:35
The only security software I'm running on this system is the built-in Microsoft A/V (i.e., nothing third party).
Joey   2017-12-08 03:45
I could live with removing the Cortona button if I had to, but the delay with the move dialog is KILLING me... Any idea why that would be taking so long to generate? It feels like there is some sort of computation that is being done when the button is clicked.

If that's the case, shouldn't whatever information it needs already be pre-generated (i.e., at program startup, for instance) so that way when the window request is triggered, can simply be displayed as opposed to computed?
Christian Studer   2017-12-08 09:00
Unfortunately I don't know what else might cause this. It's got to be something specific to explorer.exe or an application which interacts with it, otherwise you would have the issue with all applications. I also haven't seen this myself so far, works fine with File Explorer on my Windows 10 systems.

One other thing you could test: does this also happen after a restart and before you launch any other applications?

Joey   2017-12-15 00:51
The delay is not just with explorer.exe, it seems it's with all applications.

I just tried with Notepad, MS Paint, Calculator, etc. All had the exact same "pause" before the "Choose monitor" menu popped up.

I should also note that when waiting for the menu to pop up, the system seems to lock up entirely (i.e., mouse won't move, just frozen right in place). But as soon as the menu is displayed, everything goes back to normal.
Christian Studer   2017-12-15 09:09
Do you have any other applications installed which use hooks? To check for this run EnumHooks.exe and EnumHooksX64.exe if you're on 64-bit Windows, then send me the generated log files to support@realtimesoft.com.

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Testing v3.4, Issue with Move Button