Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 Monitors + Error - Please help!!
the voice of silence   2003-03-30 11:26
To whom it concerns,

I'm running Windows Xp and my system hardware is as followed:

2gig Intel CPU (P4)
1 gig of Ram
AGP Nvida gforce 3 video card
Ati 3d Rage II+ PCI video card
S3 Virge DX/GX video card

I have the AGP Nvida gforce 3 video card and Ati 3d Rage II+ PCI video
card working perfectly fine. Trying to get the third video card S3
Virge DX/GX to work with the others, but displaying the following
error:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I believe there is a irq conflict but not sure. Both video cards work
perfectly fine when they run alone by themshelves. So I know it's not
the card.

So I am wondering can WindowsXP handle triple monitor support?

Any ideas how to resolve this problem please let me know thru this
forum or email!

Thank You,

Tvos

tvos@ureach.com
Christian Studer   2003-03-31 10:41
The problem is that both the ATI and S3 card need to be primary in BIOS in order to work with Windows XP (see the FAQ for more on this).

You'll need to replace one of the PCI cards with a newer card, see the shopping guide for some suggestions.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
the voice of silence   2003-03-31 10:51
Christian,

I have that already selected in the bios. I read thru the doc on this site. What if I was to change the irq with the ati and s3 video card? Would that make a difference?

I have other video cards that are old as well that I can try. Any suggestions would be great!!!
Christian Studer   2003-04-01 08:01
The problem is that you can't have both the ATI and S3 set as primary in BIOS, which both cards require in order to work with Windows XP.

Only one card can be primary, in the case of PCI cards this will be the one in the lowest-numbered slot (usually the PCI slot next to the AGP slot).

You'll need to replace one of the cards with a newer PCI card, unfortunately there is no other solution.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Ceez   2003-04-03 10:32
I had a similar issue with 3 monitor a all in wonder radeon 7500 agp, 7000 pci and a voodoo 3. There was an irq conflict that corected itseld when I disabled on of the unused serial ports in the bios freeing up an irq slot. The it works maybe the same will work for you?
Darxmurf   2003-04-03 18:43
Hi,

I hade some problems with S3 Cards. It works only under windows XP (and not always). Under Windows 2000, the computer freez when I move something on the second screen. Try another card ?

bye

Darx
The Voice Of Silence   2003-04-06 01:24
yeah - I am just going to invest in a better video card for the 3rd monitor. I believe the one pci video card can only handle so much - esp older technology with newer computers.

i haven't disabled any irq's yet for the serial port. did that help you guys?

any other ideas would be helpfull!!

tvos
Ziyad Hosein   2003-04-07 02:56
Rage I, Rage II/II+, Rage IIc and Rage PRO graphics adapters will not function as secondary display adapters in a Windows 2000 / XP environment.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3663.html

Windows Tweaks and Retro Drivers
The Voice Of Silence   2003-04-08 06:03
Ziyad,

Then you must be high crazy!!! My 3d rage II+ pci works perfectly fine as a second video adapter w/no problems....

Any ideas....

tvos
tIKi_mAn   2003-06-10 03:51
Same issues here, but I dont have this problem under w98se. now if only the xpp would work...

-tIKi_mAn
Bongo   2003-07-06 22:26
This is a Problem with XP, 98/ME dont have any problems at all with it. Id rather have to use ME than not have 3 monitors
Sean   2003-08-24 16:31
I got the same problem, I got a GF4 mx 440 AGP , and a tnt 16, working fine together, tnt is set as primary, when i add the Virge GX it wont start :/ so there is no solution to this at all? just "buy another pci card"? *smax MS* cant they get anything right
Sean   2003-08-24 20:15
Just to add to that last comment i made, I had the TNT 16 working as a 2nd monitor fine with the Geforce as primary (set in bios) and this worked fine, up until one day when i installed the latest Nvidia drivers, then suddenly the card would only work if it was set to primary in dos, Even if i rolled back the drivers this didnt have any effect. Just wondering if perhaps someone knows how i can perhaps get back to that stage? (cause if i can, then i can have the S3 as the primary hence giving me 3 screens)
D-Rauck   2003-08-31 06:31
I am currently using a 3d Rage II+ as a secondary graphics card and it works fine
tIKi_mAn   2003-09-03 00:47
I was able to resolve this by putting one of the old ATI cards on IRQ nine, and another on fifteen.

-tIKi_mAn
==Peace and Good Fragging==
Steven   2003-10-21 19:23
I have a problem with a Gforce 3 card as well. I have two partitions on my PC and 2 operating systems (Win98 and Win2000server)and there is a VGA on the motherboard.
For the win 98 everything works fine, but for the win2000 I just can't switch form the VGA to the Gforce card.
Can anyone help?
Arrakis   2003-11-26 14:27
I Had a Radeon 9100 128MB AGP, with a Radeon 7500 PCI as secondary card, I was able to have 2 CRT, 2 LCD and 2 TVs on my PC, but I gave my Radeon 7500 to my girlfriend and tried my Rage II+ as secondary and had the same problem as you guys, I also tried my S3 Trio64V+ (Same Problem) and my Matrox Mystique with all the same problem under Windows XP, It's a problem with WindowsXp that blocks the Video Bios of a lot of Old PCI cards as secondary and will only work as Primary. I don't want a Rage II+ as Primary when I can have a Radeon 9100 lol.
ecarlson   2003-11-26 14:42
Arrakis: Set the PCI card to primary in BIOS, then set the AGP card to primary in Windows XP (also works in Windows 2000). Problem solved (at least the problem you are having).

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Arrakis   2003-11-26 18:04
I Already tried that I think with no Success. But I will Try Again.
Arrakis   2003-11-26 18:17
NICE!!! that worked, I had tought of this before you told me but the last time I tried it, it gave me a Blue Screen of Death.

What a stupid bug!!

Some bugs a really stupid!!
Arrakis   2003-11-30 16:47
For Steven: You should go in the Device Manager and set your onboard video card to Disabled, Windows should be using your Geforce instead.

Some bugs a really stupid!!
Anonymous   2004-09-06 16:33
ecarlson:

can you tell us the step by step guide to this "Set the PCI card to primary in BIOS, then set the AGP card to primary in Windows XP (also works in Windows 2000). Problem solved (at least the problem you are having)."

Sorry, I'm a newbie and I really can't figure out how to do this. I know how to make the PCI graphics card as primary in the BIOS but how do I make the VGA primary in WINXP?

tiki_man:

Can you also tell me how to do your suggestion? Is this thru the BIOS?

Thanks all.
ECarlson   2004-09-07 11:58
Go into Windows Display Settings, select the monitor you want to be primary, and click "Use this device as the primary monitor".

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Diego   2006-08-05 20:49
Hi all.

I was reading that computer hangs when you cross a window from screen to another.
The solution is that you must deactivate the "combined write" option in advanced configuration of the video card.
I used my S3 Virge a lot with dual screen, but
i never overcome the stupid glitch wich blocks you to start from the AGP card.
BIOS are just like Windows.
gothic_leftbehind@yahoo.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 Monitors + Error - Please help!!