Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on a new setup (how things react)
CyberPunk_1000   2003-04-01 09:52
hi all my first post here, ive set up dual heads before (back on 98 with a Matrox productiva 100 and a s3 pci card) now im looking to add tripple heads to my rig, atm im running a 17" belinea for my main screen and id like to add 2 15" TFTs, left and right. i have a Geforce 3 (asus 8200 delux) but im going to be changing this for a ATI 9800 and am hoping to find a ATI 9000 for a secondary PCI card, or at worst a high end Geforce 4 MX. but ive got a few questions, dose this work well ? will it effect my prefomrance in any major way when im playing games (altho games isnt the main purpose of my machine i HATE doing something when its not fast) and what happens for example when i start a game such as unreal 2003 ? would the two other monitors go blank only leaving me with one, and if so will my frame rate be effected by the additioal monitors ? and final question what sort of prefomrance will i get from surround gaming FPS wise (hey if i have the hardware i might as well give it ago at least once). thansk for any answers.
kev   2003-04-01 10:30
i can give you my experiences (and this is with win xp pro). when playing any non opengl game (like ut2k3) the other monitors stay normal. with some open gl games (q3) the other monitors look "washed out" and with others (serious sam) they stay normal. i am running 2 mon off of a g4 4400ti and i dont get any performance (fps) decrease whether or not i have the 2nd monitor enabled (there isnt anything really going on on that monitor to suck up resources when i play anyway)

when i tried q3 over all 3 mon, it would run fine for about 2-3 min then crash-probably because my 3rd mon is running off of a g2 mx200 and it just couldnt keep up.

just my experiences
CyberPunk_1000   2003-04-01 11:05
Thanks thats great info ! i have anotehr question you mentioned the image being "washed out" i assume that it stays on the desktop then ? i ask because i might have MSN open on one of the screens to check for people singing in and out or maybe stats from my routers IDS, i take it these would still be visible ?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on a new setup (how things react)