Forums -> Multiple monitors -> BIOS settings? wanting to add a PCI to current Matrox G400 Dual AGP?
Lonewulf   2000-12-16 00:19
Hello,

I am having difficulty finding out whether I will encounter any problems with the BIOS.

I am concerned that:
1) I might put a PCI card in and the AGP card is no longer even recognized (AGP card I put in myself is a Matrox G400 Dual head).

2) The PCI and AGP cards do work together, but the PCI is automatically assigned as the primary and the AGP is the secondary.

IF I knew number 2 above was going to happen I would just spend the money and get a nice 8 MB PCI card since the Matrox is a 16 MB (8 megs per monitor). However, I was hoping to save some $$ and just get a 4 MB card and make the PCI the secondary.

Either way I would be very upset if I get a PCI card and then the AGP card does not work at all.

Can anyone give me some direction as to which way to go with this matter?
How difficult is it to update the BIOS?

I have checked my BIOS settings and I did not see anything about assigning AGP or PCI as primary/secondary, however I only have one video card in there right now.

My computer is a Pent II 333 Gateway, the BIOS is 4A4LLDXO.15A.0017.P14 version. I purchased the computer in July of 98.

Thanks in advance!

Lonewulf
Christian Studer   2000-12-16 22:49
Updating the BIOS is usually quite easy: Gateway's BIOS update will probably create a boot disk, and then you simply have to reboot from this disk.

According to the database, the G400 dualhead should work fine together with an additional PCI card, see these configs.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> BIOS settings? wanting to add a PCI to current Matrox G400 Dual AGP?