Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Nview won't enable & PC Shutdown issue
Eric Carlson   2003-04-25 08:53
Please help:

Nview Desktop won't load, and the computer won't power off after shutdown.

I had both issues fixed once by deleting the S3 video drivers, and letting Windows reinstall them, but then the problem came back the next time I rebooted. But the shutdown problem existed before I added the S3 video card. Updating the NVidia drivers didn't fix the problem. Dual video works perfectly otherwise.

Card 1: AGP, Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 chipset, v41.09
Card 2: PCI, S3 ViRGE DX (375) chipset
Windows 2000/SP3
P-4/1.7Ghz/512.Meg/20.Gig

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Eric Carlson   2003-05-09 14:53
Could the problem be that NView Desktop doesn't allow you to enable the special features if one of your two cards is NOT an NVidia chipset?

Has anyone successfully used NView Desktop's special features (specifically: keeping dialog boxes on the same monitor as the application) with an NVidia card paired with a non-NVidia card?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Daniel   2003-05-09 23:56
Ive got 2 separate cards, s3 and a nvidia, my nvidia extensions still work
ecarlson   2003-06-29 11:51
NView desktop still won't work, even with the latest NVidia drivers. The PC shutdown issue fixed itself a while back though, and the computer shuts down fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting NView desktop working? I can't even get to the NView Desktop configuration screen. It just doesn't start.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2003-07-08 10:22
A new twist: If I boot with the second monitor disabled, then I can run NView with no problem. I just have to activate the second monitor after Windows finished booting.

So, until I can find a real fix, I guess I'll just have to disable my second monitor before I shut down my coputer, and re-enable it after Windows is running. Good thing I don't shut down very often.

At least now NView keeps all of an applications menus on the same screen. MS Access 97 is very bad about throwing menues, or parts of menues onto the primary screen. Nview fixes that problem.

Please let me know if you come up with a real fix (aside from buying a new secondary video card, or a dual primary card).

noorani   2003-07-16 04:10
hello, i need help in uninstallin the NIVIDA Nview.
thank you
ecarlson   2003-07-16 10:55
Have you tried using Add/Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel?

ecarlson   2003-07-29 14:43
Problem gone, but not fixed:

I never actually found a permanent way to get NView to work with the NVidia/S3 Virge card combo, but:

Amazingly, today at work I found an unused Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64/32.Meg PCI card, which perfectly matches the Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64/32.Meg AGP card I was already using.

So my work computer finally has a fully working NView, and a matched pair of video cards.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Nview won't enable & PC Shutdown issue