Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 video cards, monitors setup and tv-card
stargate   2003-05-17 04:10
ok...
my system: Targa 17'' connected to an AGP radeon 7200, Smile 14'' connected to a PCI s3virge card. To get multimonitor working in xp I had to set primary in bios the pci card. ok all is well in winxp as the radeon is primary. now the problem is that I keep my Targa 17'' (radeon) in desktop at 1024x768 and Smile (s3) at 800x600 (max supported by monitor). my current setup is targa to the left and smile to the right. when entering 3dapps or changing resolutions the windows from the second monitor (smile on s3) are getting resized and moved - very annoying. i've discovered that moving the monitor to the right (in display proprieties) solves this problem. the real problem is that it is impossible for me to do that in real life, just take my word for it - i am stuck with the 17'' targa to the left and 14'' smile to the right. as you can imagine it is extremly hard to work this way. moving the mouse to the left only to appear on the far right on the second monitor. so, there is a way to trick the software so i can move the mouse the right way? and another thing is that when my tv app is running and i start a 3d game the image just stopps being displayed and the window is empty. why is that since i have 2 video cards with two overlays? i even tryed to change the tuner to "primary surface" and the same thing happens. bottom line i just want to watch tv on the second monitor and i just can't.
l33t   2003-07-14 11:23
when entering 3dapps or changing resolutions the windows from the second monitor (smile on s3) are getting resized and moved - very annoying.

>>Yes.

i've discovered that moving the monitor to the right (in display proprieties) solves this problem. the real problem is that it is impossible for me to do that in real life,

>> Uh huh. I have the same 'problem' a (primary) 21inch on the left and a 17 on the right. Swapped in display properties.

as you can imagine it is extremly hard to work this way. moving the mouse to the left only to appear on the far right on the second monitor.

>> Actually, no. I find I actually prefer it this way. Perhaps it's a little odd at first, but You get used to it and it becomes natural to flick the mouse left to have it appear on the right screen.

>> Also, I can 'hang' apps off the right hand side of the screen and they don't cover up part of the other monitor this way.

so, there is a way to trick the software so i can move the mouse the right way?

>>Not that I know of

bottom line i just want to watch tv on the second monitor and i just can't.

>> I think you'll need to make the screen you want to watch the tv on the primary. Or don't use overlay. Or get different video cards.
stargate   2003-07-18 05:58
Thanks for the reply. You are right, after a while the monitor swap becomes familiar. :)

But still, the tv problem is not fixed yet. I mean come on, no one here wants to play games and watch tv on the same time?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 video cards, monitors setup and tv-card