Forums -> Multiple monitors -> G400 + ATI All In Wonder + Windows 2000
Hivey   2000-12-22 05:17
Hey
i have:
Windows 2000 SP1
Matrox G400 Dualhead
ATI All In Wonder 128 (16mb ram)
P3 450 128ram

i've been using crippeld G400 dualhead in win2k for some time now, and i had the chance to test a Ati All In Wonder to see how the real dualhead works in win2k (also i wanted to test the TV tuner, and video capture thing)

but i ran into some problems
first windows 2k installed drivers without even asking ;)) after reboot everything worked great (no software so no tv, ...) anyhow dualscreen worked nicely (didn't try 3 screens tho)

the problem i had is with movie files (especially divx, asf and mpg)

i can't play them at full screen, at about 120% of their original size they use 100% of my processor...

when i turn off the ATI (or the g400 if i use the ati as primary) then i can play movies at full screen and they use about 20-30% of my processor..... so it's clearly the dual screen mode of windows 2000 in combination with video (cause all other applications run smoothly)

i have another problem
i use the ATI as the secondary display, i tried the drivers from the website of ATI (the cd didn't provide any) and nor the TV tuner, nor the Video-in seemed to work, windows can't even find them....

anyone an idea? ?

thank you !!
Christian Studer   2000-12-22 06:00
You'll have to use the ATI as primary in order to get the TV tuner and video-in working. As far as I know, it has to be primary in BIOS, it is not enough if it is primary only in Display Properties.

Regarding the video playback problem: looks like video overlays are disabled with both cards enabled. This is probably a driver problem, Win2000 has no such limitation (using 3 monitors with Win2000 myself, overlays work fine).

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Nicko   2000-12-26 23:48
I have talked to everyone in the database using an ATI All In Wonder as a secondary video card. ATI's AGP ATI Radeon All In Wonder is good but not great in terms of 3D performance. As AGP primarily helps video performance under 3D and cache stress, this makes the ATI All in Wonder PCI a perfect secondary card, as it has rock solid 2D performance and superior MPEG decoding/encoding. ATI has claimed it is working on the drivers for years, nothing has come of it. The all in wonder is crippled as a secondary. Video capture, TV tuner, and DVD decodign do not work under any conditions if the ATI is secondary.
Hivey   2000-12-27 07:49
tx for the reply.

i tried running the ati all in wonder as a primary video card but ran into trouble:
windows wouldn't start anymore, windows would crash just before you get the window where you have to log on. so after windows starts, show background and crashes...

about the video overlay problem. i'm already running on the latest drivers of both the cards... anything i can do about this ?

another question about the ati in sec. mode, the G400 i have is better in 3d performance (for games) will games run properly on the g400 if it runs as secondary video card ? (sec. in bios but first in windows so that the games run in that screen) ? or will i encounter performance loss ?

thanks
Gary   2001-01-30 08:35
I have ati all in wonder 128 card everything worked fine under win98, upgraded to win2000pro problems at first then got the right drivers from MS update site and my features and card worked perfect again.
other system problems caused me to have to re-install losing drivers for (all in card win2000).
win200 detects card now as rage 128 gl and will not see it as all in wonder.
really annoying, also ms update site recommends rage 128 gl drivers. these drivers make my tv tuner and delta force 3 game constantly crash.
any idea's how i get ati all in wonder drivers and how i force win2000 to use them instead of rage 128 gl.
cheers
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> G400 + ATI All In Wonder + Windows 2000