Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Remote control soft acessing the second monitor
Rangel   2003-05-20 17:14
Hello, I have an application that uses two monitors, but it also uses a capture card, and tvout.

The first problem is that the capture card only can work in the primary display(overlay) and that's along with a tv-out output in the primary card is displayed ok(only tv, no clone mode :( ), and the app is controled in the second monitor.

I have to connect to this machine that is on a network, kms away.
The problem starts when I try to use a remote control software, Pcanywhere, disables de second monitor, laplink doesn't access it also, radmin gets only 1st monitor, and I have not tested rdp because it's a win98 machine(tweaked with a modified OS). Vnc is slow, but not tested yet.

So the question is, is there any program out there that can get all displays in all monitors, no matter what is installed( capture or tvout) and display it REMOTELY? Maybe VNC? or RDP? Could Ultramon help me to solve this?

Thanks.

PS:
sorry, this was reposted here, after I posted on the Ultramon forum, because I didn't know of this specific forum.
Mike   2003-05-22 00:29
I have been looking for weeks to find a remote control application that will span different video cards. As far as I can see, there are none.
Rangel   2003-05-22 16:55
Well Mike, I'm always losing one of my clients because of this also, but at least now I managed to finally find an application that shows two monitors at the same time, the name is TridiaVNCPro.

check this page and dowload the program
http://www.tridiavncpro.com/

It has some things in JAVA, but it works.

I'm also evaluating other possibilities, and I will post here if I can find other that can do it too.

I have tested.
VNC
WINVNC
REALVNC
PCANYWHERE
LAPLINK
RADMIN
none of this worked.

Bye.
ecarlson   2003-05-23 07:11
The next version of RAdmin is supposed to support multi monitors, but we've all been waiting a couple of years for the next release, so don't expect it any time soon.

It probably won't help you, but I think Citrix Metaframe supports multi monitors, but that is used with Windows Terminal Services. I'm not sure if Windows Terminal Services alone supports multi monitors.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Rangel   2003-05-25 10:49
Thanks, Eric (I checked your page :-) )

I will test other programs, and the list is growing.

I have tested some other modified VNCs like multivnc and a patch to vnc, but no luck. Maybe I will mess with the code and make it work.
Tested Realvnc and the whole list in tucows.com hehe. Basicly there are a lot of VNCs mods, and most of them SUCK!

I have discovered that TridianVNCPro is slow as hell, and it seems to not work properly when accessing monitors in a different order than 123..
But till now, the only survivor.

RDP from M$ is the fastest, but I don't have a win2k/XP running with 2 monitors to test it, and I seriously doubt it will work. And it's M$ crap, the next version will be totally different and incompatible, so I don't want to touch it, and I hope never have to use it, I prefer options.

The next candidates are:

CA - ControlIT (according to this page, it should work)
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=33169&ID=228
NetOP Remote Control
McAfee - Remote Desktop( Everyone says it sucks, but I will try it anyway ;-) )

I will post results in this page, if somebody wants an article about, just let me know.
ecarlson   2003-05-25 14:46
Hehe. I used to work for CA. They do have some good products. Please let us know what you find. Maybe you can even do an article to post on this web site, or at least add it to the FAQ. There are also some other remote apps, but I can't remember all their names: Laplink is one.

ecarlson   2003-05-25 14:47
OOPS. You already tested Laplink.

ecarlson   2003-05-25 15:11
Here's another one: Timbuktu Pro from Netopia

I found this in their "what's new" log from August 2001 "Timbuktu Pro now supports controlling or observing multiple monitors."

Rangel   2003-05-25 20:01
Tested Laplink Everywhere and it is a crappy VNC(java applet)
shit running connected with a "special server" that helps you to
access your computer. Good if you have a NAT box. But charged monthly.

I suspect Gotomypc, is the same, but I won't put my credit card number
to discover, it demands it.
Pcmagazine did an article about remote control software, and gave a
lot of points to gotomypc, and never told about radmin, I smell a briiibe.

If they could access multiple monitors, maybe I'd pay it.

Tried ControlIT
What a disturbing software, used to be remotely possible.
The idea is good, but the implementation is just awful.
It has a little suport of two monitors in windows 98, the second monitor shows all wrong, no
icons or no colors. I have tried a lot to make this prog work(about 5 hours straight), it looks nice, but I don't think
I can trust it, well it crashes a lot, when running with only one monitor it's a an interesting program,
it's more stable, but I'd not trust it to put it on my server, anyway I dont use windows as
a server. ;-) I use FreeBSD.
not tested on 2k or XP( Reading the patches and
info it seems to be dropped the MultiMon Support, or not evolved since windows 98 versions 5.0.0.57)
It's interesting because it has a chat, a session recorder and a file transfer besides a viewer, and
it supports IPX, Dial etc.
It's fast, maybe because it goes a little lower than it was supposed to go, and as expected
it's not very safe either, it sometimes shows BSOD, or the explorer crash, that
is unrecoverable without a reboot.
If CA makes it stable with two monitors, ok, maybe there is a version that is stable, I tried
a lot of patches, but not all, just take a look at this page.
Conclusion is: NOT APPROVED, TOO UNSTABLE. PATCH PARTY.
http://support.ca.com/Download/patches/controlit_5x.html

Netop from DAN software, I don't know how to setup this properly, too complicated.
But seems interesting if you want options, it supports dial and others connections.
The annoynce starts when you have to install the viewer and host separatly, but they are
on the same installer???? And you have to put an Serial to determine if it's host or guest
and Reboot, very annoyng, two machines with host and guest = 4 reboots.
The 2nd annoynce comes with the called security server, another installation(more reboots)
that require the same installer on a different serial. When I isntalled this it removed the
Host manager. THe client coulnd't connect then. There seems to be some problems with clients
and servers running in different OS. I got version mismatch when tried to connect on win98
using XP, but passed when win98 to win98, but never connected because of the security server
wasn't found. ARGHH, I gave up after that, so I dont know if it supports two or more monitors
Conclusion is: TOO DAMN COMPLICATED. TOO MANY SERVERS

If somebody want me to test aonther programs, please send me, I can't find mcafee remote control
for instance.

Sorry about the long post. But this thing is a journey.

I will test timbktu later
rangel   2003-05-30 17:12
I have tested timbuktu and unfortunately
it also doesn't support multi monitors.
But I'm very surprised by the quality of this product.
Is the fastest remote control software I have used, and I'm doing tests in my LAN, I can control my LAN Machines almost like being seat on the actual chair, is amazing.
This is hands down the best remote control software fo LANs,even better than RDP from M$, I haven't tested it in modem conenctions. It's picture(remotely) if not the best, is one of the best.

I haved talked with CA people about controlIT and I think the support of multi monitors have been dropped, in the new product. SO I have to tell them to remove this feature from the webpage about controlIT, they are lying to people about their software.

I have made an extense analisys of the tools available to remote control.

But in the end, I think I'll have to build a modified verson of VNC to test if I can get multi monitors to work.

If I start this I'll post in the forum the results.

I'll keep on searching for some alternative ;-)
ecarlson   2003-05-31 00:38
Thanks for the info. And I'd love to see more. I find RAdmin to be pretty quick for LAN admin work. I often have multiple remote screens running on my desk computer. That's one reason I have dual monitors at work.

EdKoF   2003-06-10 03:38
Thanks for the info concerning TridiaVNC Pro. It does do the trick here: 3 monitors using 2 Matrox videocards.

It is rather slow indeed, but so far the only thing I found to work.

Cheers,

Ed.
rangel   2003-06-16 16:01
Well, hello guys.

I have tested PC-DUO and guess what? It doesn't also support multi monitors.

But it's very fast too(LAN tested only), like timbuktu, but it goes as deep in the system as the Control IT from CA, so I don't think it's very stable, but an interesting product, with a very good interface.

I have exchanged emails with the CA people in support, and they say that control IT version 6.0 that is now in beta state will support multiple monitors.

Well I dont have a valid license for controlit so they can't send me a beta version for me to test.

If anybody can get the beta version of Control IT and send me, I will test it and see if that's hype or not.

I haven't had too much time to seek other solutions, very busy with other things, but if anybody has any suggestions or thoughts, bring it on.

About tridiavncpro, EdKoF are you using any TV out features on the matrox cards?

Thanks, Bye.
rangel   2003-06-19 21:15
Great News. VNC now works with multiple windows and protocols.

With Aniso's Tip I have managed to use two monitors on windows98 and XP.
Thanks Aniso, I have been a little harsh on you, but you gave me a very good tip, I figured how to make it work across all windows versions.

Works great, with version 3.3.3.7 using hextile, and I have managed to make a version using tightvnc jpeg compression.

http://www.epg.com.br/~rangel/VNC_Multimon.exe
Does anybody have a fast link? so I can mirror it?

It's all about the right dlls and exes.

I had to make an omnithread_rt.dll available.

And if you don't use the right client and server it doesn't display the correct cordinates, or it doesn't drag and drop correctly.

I'd like to see some feedback if somebody uses it.

Bye.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Remote control soft acessing the second monitor