Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows stop repainting correctly after several hours
Brian H   2003-05-22 11:21
Hello everyone. Please excuse me if this is not the most appropriate forum to approach for assistance, but I have searched far and wide for anything that can help me resolve an issue that has plagued my Windows 2000 machine for several months now.

I have a PNY Quadro4 NVS 400 four-display video card with three 19" monitors connected. Each of the 19" displays is running at 1600 x 1200 x 32bit x 85Hz. I love this configuration. In fact, my total satisfaction with a 4800 x 1200 workspace has so far stopped me from downgrading to resolve the issue I have.

Ever since installing the Quadro4, Windows 2000 has had an issue that manifests slowly during the course of a work day. Various application windows stop painting correctly. As I continue to use the machine, more and more apps become afflicted. You can usually drag a window off the bottom of the desktop and then drag it back up to get a fresh "repaint," but this is only a stop-gap solution. After about 5 hours of usage, just about any regular activity will result in an unpainted window. Dragging the windows off the screen stops helping after a while, too.

Certain applications experience the problem more readily than others. For example, Mozilla, Eclipse (a Java editor), Yahoo Messenger and Trillian. In particular, using multiple tabs in Mozilla can really set off the problem in a hurry.

I have installed just about every nVidia Quadro and GeForce driver under the sun. Today, I am running the version that just came out a few days ago. None have ever helped address the problem.

For a second, I thought I had found something useful from Microsoft's Knowledge Base (article 126926). I dramatically increased these SharedSpace numbers to no avail.

In fact, I am fighting with this issue right now.

Naturally, PNY has no tech support available on their web site. And nVidia doesn't support end users. Great.

I really don't imagine I'm the only person who has experienced this problem. And yet, I can't find anything on Google to suggest that anyone else has ever seen anything like it. Nevertheless, if anyone can provide me with some pointers, I'd very much appreciate it.

System specs:

- Quadro4 NVS 400
- Three 19" monitors, each at 1600x1200x32
- Windows 2000
- 512 Mb memory
- 800 MHz processor (ugh...)
- nVidia v44.03 drivers
Brian H   2003-05-29 11:23
Follow-up: I think this -may- be related to the fact that I use Windows 2000 Server (from MSDN) as my desktop OS rather than Windows 2000 Professional.

I cannot confirm or deny that this is, in fact, the cause, but this is my latest guess.

(Please don't give me a lecture about running a server OS on a workstation. If this turns out to actually be the cause--and I hope it does--it will be the first negative I've found in choosing Server over Professional.)
ecarlson   2003-05-29 13:47
You can contact PNY support via their web site. They responded quickly to my requests. Click on any of the FAQ's on the support page, then click on the button to "E-mail tech support".

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows stop repainting correctly after several hours