Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Turning second monitor on/off causes seemingly random bug
carelfransen   2020-03-02 12:31
Hi,

For as long as I have been using UltraMon for my setup, I seem to have a peculiar bug when turning on/off my second monitor. I have this bug nearly always, but how it acts is a bit different every time.

My primary monitor is 1920x1200, my second monitor to the right (extended) is 1920x1080.

I have three hotkeys that I use:
– Disable or enable secondary monitors
– Move window to next monitor
– Move window to previous monitor

With these I can simply turn on/off my secondary monitor and move windows around.

However, whenever I enable my secondary monitor by hotkey, almost always some random piece of software opens up on (part of) my primary monitor. Sometimes it's Dropbox, nVidia Control Panel, ExpressVPN, Discord, Windows Explorer. It seems always something with an icon in the notifications bar.

However, while I see in Task Manager it's this software that opened, it most often looks like a white or black screen, either full screen or part of it. I can only close the software through Task Manager or by right-clicking on the icon in the Start bar.

Furthermore, it often happens that the lower part of my primary screen becomes unresponsive, even after turning off my secondary monitor. Then the Start button, icons, and such are not working anymore (but pressing the Start key on my keyboard does work). And the only way to solve this is by restarting Explorer.exe in the Task Manager, or easier, restarting my computer.

Anyway, I'm a happy user of Ultramon, but it might be nice to solve this problem at some point.

Thank you in advance!
Christian Studer   2020-03-03 15:35
Which version of UltraMon and Windows are you using?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
carelfransen   2020-03-05 10:11
I'm using Windows 10 Home version 1909 and UltraMon version 3.4.1. But I have had this issue with various previous versions as well.

If it'd help, I could make a screen recording showing the bug.
Christian Studer   2020-03-07 14:35
UltraMon restores window positions when re-enabling the secondary, maybe this causes hidden windows to get shown. Not sure though why explorer.exe would hang.

One thing you could try is to use the DisableEnableSecondaryNoWndSave script instead of the 'Disable or enable secondary monitors' hotkey. To set this up, save the script to a folder of your choice, then create a new 'Run application or script' hotkey for the script. Let me know if that fixes the issue for you.

I also did some quick testing with Windows 10 version 1909 and UltraMon 3.4.1, but so far haven't seen the issue.

carelfransen   2020-03-17 00:49
Hi Christian,

I have tried installing the script and I have used it for a couple of days now. The weird bugs seem to be solved. Only Discord is the app that seems to be triggered to the foreground as soon as you turn on your second monitor. But in general it seems to solve the issue. Thanks!
JeeveStobs   2020-07-29 08:57
"However, whenever I enable my secondary monitor by hotkey, almost always some random piece of software opens up on (part of) my primary monitor. Sometimes it's Dropbox, nVidia Control Panel, ExpressVPN, Discord, Windows Explorer."

Same issue for me using any hotkey in Windows 10 Pro version 2004 build 19041. Got tired of random shit popping up, so UltraMon was uninstalled.
Christian Studer   2020-07-29 14:41
With which hotkeys do you have this issue?

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Turning second monitor on/off causes seemingly random bug