Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Flashing Screen, Slight Delay
Louise   2023-06-21 10:57
Hi,

About a week to two weeks ago, I started having an issue with UltraMon.

What has been happening:
*My main screen flashes briefly to black.
*A few flickers follow.
*There is a delay in what I may be doing, such as typing. I have to wait about five seconds for what I've typed to appear after each "incident" starts.
*Each incident happens every 30 seconds to a couple minutes after the previous one.

I had a Windows update about the time this started happening, although I can't swear these incidents started after the update.

I have been using UltraMon for well over five years without any issues.

I have three monitors, which I've had for over five years.

I have the most current version of UltraMon installed. As a matter of fact, I uninstalled UltraMon late last week and only installed it again today. I hoped the "break" might resolve the issues

Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know what's causing this? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-06-22 10:57
Does the issue go away as soon as you close UltraMon via UltraMon menu > Close?

Also let me know which version of Windows you're using.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Louise   2023-06-22 11:56
I hadn't tried just closing UltraMon as you suggested, but I had uninstalled it. Uninstalling makes the issue go away. I don't like being without UltraMon (so much easier to use than the Windows shortcuts when you have more than two monitors), so I installed it again.

I closed UltraMon as you suggested. Yes, it stopped the problem.

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise, version 22H2, OS build 19045.3086, 64 bit OS.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-06-23 02:37
Does this happen even if you don't do anything, for example you restart the computer, then do nothing, don't open any applications, then every minute or so the primary monitor turns black?

One other thing you could check: go to C:\Program Files\UltraMon, right-click UltraMon.exe and select Properties from the menu, then select the Compatibility tab and check if any settings are enabled.

Louise   2023-06-27 14:21
Hi,

There aren't any options selected in the Compatibility tab.

I'll have to see what happens when I turn on my computer tomorrow. I shut down every night and Teams and MS To Do start up when I turn it on.

I closed the program today because I'm working on instructions and the delay is really a pain in the butt. I can't type or do anything for those five to ten seconds it's doing it's weird thing.

But, even though I closed it, it continued to cause a delay while it did it's flash thing. It hasn't been always blacking out the one monitor today thankfully.

I'll post an update tomorrow after I sign on.

Louise
Louise   2023-06-27 14:31
While I still had the Properties up for UltraMon.exe, I looked at some of the other tabs.

the Digital Signatures tab, has your group listed, but I clicked on the Details to see what was listed.

Everything seemed fine in the Signer information, but there was a Countersignature listed, but I assume this is also fine. It's Symantec SHA256 TimeStamping Signer - G3, which has the same Signing time as the most recent update - October 3, 2018.

I didn't see anything else that may be questionable.

Louise
Louise   2023-06-28 10:55
When I turned on my computer this morning, Teams and To Do started. I signed out of them. There was flickering but the screen didn't appear to black out. I wasn't able to determine if there was any kind of delay happening because I wasn't using anything.

I started my normal work day, opening Outlook, Teams, To Do, using Chrome and file explorer. The problems started again. In order for me to not get immensely frustrated and stop the delays in working in Word, I had to close UltraMon.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-06-28 15:59
To figure out which UltraMon feature is causing this, I would first disable the window buttons. To do this go to UltraMon Options > Buttons and Menu Commands and uncheck both the Move Window and Maximize to Desktop button options.

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Louise   2023-06-29 07:55
I unchecked all four of the options on that tab. If anything, it made the flashing worse, more noticeable. It didn't extend how long it happens for, thankfully.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-06-29 17:11
Did you reboot after making the changes?

Louise   2023-07-10 09:22
No, I didn't but I shut down that night. The problem still existed.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-07-10 15:34
Please send me your UltraMon settings to support@realtimesoft.com, to do this run regedit.exe, then right-click the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Realtime Soft and select Export from the menu to save it to a .reg file.

Louise   2023-08-31 10:13
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

What settings do you want? Do you want the display settings, the button settings? Or just any settings I have changed from the default?

Louise
Louise   2023-08-31 10:14
Never mind. I re-read your message and I see you explained it there. I though the regedit was something different.

Louise
Louise   2023-08-31 11:22
I can't email the file. I'm getting an error.

550 5.0.350 One or more of the attachments in your email is of a file type that is NOT allowed by the recipient's organization.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-08-31 15:03
Not sure what would cause this, I just sent myself a .reg file, worked fine.

I would try again, if it still doesn't work just change the file extension from .reg to .txt.

Louise   2023-09-27 08:24
Hi Christian,

Again, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Q4 is crazy busy for us.

Anyway, my company is in the process of replacing our laptops, so I think we can hold off on anything further and hope it works on my new one. I should be getting it within the next month. As much as I want UltraMon back on my computer, I don't want to waste your time. If I have issues, I'll reply to this post.

I appreciate your time in trying to help with this issue.

Louise
Christian Studer   2023-09-30 12:44
That's fine, let me know if you still have issues on the new laptop.

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Flashing Screen, Slight Delay