Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multi mon problem, advise needed
steve   2003-06-08 08:12
I have a GeForce4 460MX AGP card and an ATI Rage XL PCI card.

I can use dual monitors only if I set the PCI to init first and remove all other PCI cards. With any other PCI card in, my pc will run through the POST and then black screen and hang. Looks like an IRQ problem but I've checked out all the settings in my BIOS and the mobo manual and can't fix it.

I can't use both monitors if I have either my sound card (SB Live 1024) or network card (3Com 3c905b-tx) in.

I've tried setting AGP to init first and disabling the auro irq->vga in the bios but doesnt help. It just inits the monitor on the AGP card and in device manager says it cant start (code 10) the PCI card.

Ideally I would like to use the AGP as primary and have the PCI secondary with my other PCI cards installed at the same time.

My mobo manual says dual monitors will work with AGP or PCI init first.

Any hints, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm upgrading the whole system soon anyway but I would like to get this working. The motherboard is QDI KinetiZ 7E, cpu is athlon 1700+ and 512mb 133mhz sdram.
ecarlson   2003-06-08 12:41
Yes, replace the ATI rage card.

Windows doesn't care which card is first in BIOS. Once you get it all working (with a newer PCI card). You will set the PCI card as primary in BIOS, but you will set AGP card as primary in Windows, and you will be happy. :-)

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
steve   2003-06-09 04:13
Yes I thought of that but can't be bothered to buy another pci card because I am upgrading soon. I guess the only option is to have dual screen with no sound/network, or wait till I upgrade.

Actually that's a good point, why can't I have dual screen when I put my sound card or network card in?

I use dual screen when coding but I like to play mp3's too when coding, it's a tough choice :p
ecarlson   2003-06-09 12:03
Get a USB sound card and a USB network card. :-)

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
steve   2003-06-10 06:59
hehe yeah :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multi mon problem, advise needed