Forums -> Multiple monitors -> matrox g550 or nvidia fx 5800
Avi   2003-06-12 19:59
Hi all,

I'm seeking input to decide between the matrox G550 - the board I think I should buy - and the nvidia 5800 - the one I want.

I'm going to use the computer mainly for software development. The G550 reviews rave about two major relevant features - exceptional text display and dual monitors support. In addition, the G500 is about $150 cheaper. See here for example,

The issue, however, is that those reviews are old, and typically compare the G550 to GeForce2 MX. So, I seek opinion or articles comparing it to the FX - text quality and dual monitors support (esp. using different resolutions, refresh rates and color depths.

Thanks!
Avi   2003-06-12 20:20
Sorry: NVIDIA's GeForce FX 5600, not 5800.
ecarlson   2003-06-13 10:44
My NVidia based PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 card has very good text display on both of my monitors.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
fargis   2003-06-18 11:56
If by software development you mean programming, for example Visual Basic, then i'm guessing 3D graphics performance isn't a big concern. If that's the case and you're doing mainly 2D work, you can save yourself a lot of money and go with the Matrox. If you start asking a lot of the card 3D-wise, you will be disappointed, especially as far as 3D gaming goes.

Between the two cards, there is no contest. The GeForce is clearly superior in terms of performance and ability; although I've never really noticed a difference before with regards to text quality (between a G550 and any of my GeForces), and if you're using Windows XP, either card will be a doddle to set up.

What kind of resolutions/refresh rates are you looking for Avi?

Personally, I'd get the GeForce, but you don't necessarily have to shell out for a GeForce FX (although there are low cost variants), something like carlson's Ti4200 will be just as good for 2D work. In fact, for low res 2D work, you'd easily get by with a pair of old Matrox Milleniums!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> matrox g550 or nvidia fx 5800