Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual setup no longer works
brett   2003-06-14 08:32
Ok heres the situation
I have an xp1900, sb live, 512mb pc2100
geforce3 ti200, tnt2 32mb

The dual monitor used to work perfectly, about a week ago I decided to format because I had too much stuff on my computer. I went thru installation perfectly, got everything up and running, but now my computer randomly freezes. I tried EVERYTHING.
It's coming to the point where I'm about to junk the whole computer just to get my dual setup back. One other thing, when it does freeze, i hear this loud buzzing coming out of the speakers on my computer, so I figured it might have been a sound driver problem... I reinstalled/updated, and it still freezes.

Please, if anyone can help thank you in advance
ecarlson   2003-06-14 09:26
If your going to junk it, send it to me. :-)

Maybe Windows assigned conflicting IRQ's among your various cards. Maybe try checking and changing the IRQ settings in Windows Device Manager, or set permanent IRQ's in your CMOS setup (BIOS settings).

You could also move your PCI cards to different slots to see if it helps.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
brett   2003-06-14 09:44
i moved the cards around(first thing i did)

it does say there are 2 cards using irq5, i will try to mess with that, be back in 25 when it doesnt work :P

brett   2003-06-14 09:58
ok , my main card was sharing IRQ 5 with my sb live, i moved it to irq 11, everything *should* be working, ill know in about 10 minutes if it doesn't freeze :)

thanks for the idea on changing irq, i had thought about it earlier but it didnt even dawn on me that they could be sharing... thanks

ecarlson   2003-06-14 14:43
Sometimes it is okay to share IRQ's, but not always. I hope all is good now. Please keep us posted.

brett   2003-06-15 09:23
well, i cant get it setup right in my bios
it has 2 separate places to specify IRQ's, one goes by device/connection and the other just says "Pci Device" or you can change it to "reserved" , i've tried so many combos, not really sure what to do, it just keeps freezing, I took out the video card for now

Now i have a useless LCD :(
http://members.cox.net/influx/desk.gif

brett   2003-06-18 16:25
please someone throw me some ideas
i've tried everything, im about to try and reinstall xp for the 5th time

i can't seem to get the cards to lineup so they take indivdual irq settings, this setup used to work, now it just freezes.

fargis   2003-06-19 00:07
It would be crazy to assume your GF3 is not your main card, so.. My first suggestion would be reformat/reinstall windows again, but only with your GF3 plugged in! Take out the TNT2, and if you want to be doubly safe, also remove the SB Live (just to be clear, i mean remove physically from their slots).

Once windows is installed, and you are satisfied the machine is stable, start adding the cards back in *one at a time*. I'd start with your sound card (if it isn't already in place).

As a final note, just before you are about to boot from your windows CD, jump into your BIOS, and find the setting "Reset ESCD configuration data" - set this to YES (or whatever is similar). A good explanation of this setting can be found here (rather than me harp on):
http://www.pcmech.com/show/bios/343/
...in fact, you could try this right now before doing anything else.

Let us know how you get on!
fargis   2003-06-19 00:12
In addition to the above, it's worth making sure all your IRQ related settings in BIOS are set back to "auto" or whatever (since you were changing things there a few days ago). If you really want to be safe, just reset your BIOS to default settings.

Remember, your setup has worked once before so it shall work again!
ecarlson   2003-06-19 13:42
Fargis has good suggestions. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard, and make sure to reset to default settings after you update it, then add custom settings back in if needed.

I ALWAYS update my BIOS before installing an OS.

deflux   2003-06-26 08:52
ok i will try to reinstall adding one card at a time, but it seems as though the USB controller wants to share IRQ's no matter what
Even if i set it to not use an irq, it still assigns one in windows...
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual setup no longer works