Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 1 monitor and 1 TV on radeon 9700
Kurt   2003-06-17 10:05
Hey Guys, I have an unusual situation, we have a radeon 9700 and we want to run the primary display as the monitor and the secondary display to a TV and extend the windows desktop to it for display purposes. We bought an RGB to S-video adapter and connected it, but the card won't recognize the adapter as a second monitor, is there anyway to force the card to utilize the secondary? Thanks

-kurt
fargis   2003-06-19 00:41
I would try and make sure your TV-out capability is actually working to start with. Just to eliminate certain things (could the adapter be faulty?), try using a standard s-video/s-video cable, to hook your Radeon up to a TV with an s-video port. If you can get this setup working, then just switch over to the other telly with the adapter and see what happens. Should give a clearer picture as to what is wrong (if anything).

Sorry but i can't help with the Radeon itself cos i don't have access to one.
Kurt   2003-06-19 05:13
No its not the card, we can get it to display the secondary on a monitor, for example if we have a monitor it the primary and a monitor in the secondary, however when we plug a monitor into the seconday, using the appropriate adapter, the card doesn't recognize there is a device there and thus does not send any picture to the secondary plug.
fargis   2003-06-19 07:16
Ahh i see what you mean now. Maybe your resolution and/or refresh rate is too high for the TV to cope? Try lowering it to 640x480, 60Hz. Failing that..

You need to test the adapter as best you can. Try it with the TV on the primary head of the Radeon, or with an entirely different video card in a different PC. If you don't have another cable to use into the TV from the adapter, or better still, another TV to test with, then you'll just have to assume they work fine.

Or, if your Radeon has an s-video-out port, use that instead. You'll get the same results.

Bear in mind that neither Windows nor the Radeon actually care if a display device is connected, they just generate and output a picture regardless. As you've already proven that a picture is being sent to the secondary head (by connecting a monitor to it and seeing some output), you won't need to worry about forcing anything. Know what i mean?
ecarlson   2003-06-19 13:49
Fargis: My NVidia based video card does detect whether or not there is something connected. If I shut down, disconnect one monitor, and reboot, my system will revert to single monitor mode without me changing any settings.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Darren Webber   2003-06-19 16:34
This may be silly and im not *Positive* this is the solution. I will check when i get home from work this morning. I believe you will *Have* to use your Svideo out on the card for yoru TV and the VGA for your monitor. After both are connected Boot the Computer and Open your display properties. on the "Displays" tab make sure that both of the displays are turned on. See here. (http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/winxp/winxpconfigenabletvout.html)and you should be set to go. As far as I know the TV display option is only available for the Svideo. which means that the card wouldn't be able to recognize the Television on an adapter to VGA or DVI.

If you have already completed this and are still having problems I apolagize, maybe it will be of help to somebody else. In the world of tech support we assume the customer knows absolutly nothing.

Lian-Li PC65 Vintage Bronze Edition w/Window
Gigabyte GA-8PE800 Ultra
Intel P4b 2.26 512 (Water Cooled)
1024mb Samsung CAS2.5 PC3200 DDR400 (512 x 2)
Radeon 9700pro Primary (Water Cooled)
Intel PRO T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
(gigabit over copper)
Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum.

Email for Pictures lilbishop@aol.com
Kurt   2003-06-19 18:22
Thanks for the link Darren, I don't have the computer at my house, but when I am at the studio tomorrow I will give that link a try, we have sort of gotten it to work through the S-Video, the thing is it will only do S-Video or RGB/DVI we haven't been able to figure out how to get both to run at the same time. I will try and follow ATI's guide about TV out, the point is we want to use the TV as a secondary monitor and not as a mirror, but if thats not possible its not possible I guess. I'll keep you posted.

-kurt
Rene Tecson   2003-06-20 03:51
i've been using a an ATI 7000 with my TV as the 2nd monitor. what i did was i just connected the S-video out directly to the S-video in of my TV set and i disconnect the secondary CRT output of the video card whenever i use the TV as my 2nd monitor
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 1 monitor and 1 TV on radeon 9700