Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox G400 user asks: "What's real multimon like in Win2k?"
Bobby Bunkle   2001-01-08 04:48

Thanks to the Matrox G400 Max, I'm hooked on dual-monitor magic. But there are frustrations that I have. I'm considering making a move to a true dual-card Multimon setup, but need a glimpse into Multimon... the Windows flavor...

1. Does ALT-TAB span annoyingly span two screens as it does in the G400 implementation?

2. Do splash screens span two screens?

3. Many apps pop up dialog boxes that are hard-coded the "center" of the screen. This happens to be RIGHT SMACK DAB on the "seam" of my dual monitors. Using real Multimon (not G400 Dual-head) where would these dialogs pop up?

I guess what I'm wondering is how "kludgey" vs. sooth Multimon is... Dual-head is pretty high on the kludge-factor: Not an hour goes by where I make some sort of adjustment to compensate for the weird screen calculations that applications do to compensate for Dual-head.

Thanks for helping me look before I leap...

Bobby
Christian Studer   2001-01-08 07:54
1. Does ALT-TAB span annoyingly span two screens as it does in the G400 implementation?

No, it is centered on the primary monitor.

2. Do splash screens span two screens?

No, they are usually centered on the same monitor the app starts, or on the primary monitor.

3. Many apps pop up dialog boxes that are hard-coded the "center" of the screen. This happens to be RIGHT SMACK DAB on the "seam" of my dual monitors. Using real Multimon (not G400 Dual-head) where would these dialogs pop up?

Centered on the primary monitor.

Real multimon works fine, but there are some disadvantages as well:
- most third-party screen savers only run on the primary monitor
- you need to disable secondary monitors to play OpenGL games

Take a look at my UltraMon utility for solutions/workarounds to those problems.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Bobby Bunkle   2001-01-08 13:41
Thanks very much for the good report. Now I'll go spend money on a card and time on installation! Yee hah!
Bobby Bunkle   2001-01-09 05:08
Another question:

Can you configure the virtual position of monitors with different resolution?

For example, monitor 1 is 1152x864, monitor 2 is 1600x1200. Can I configure Multimon so that the top corner of one monitor is, say, a few screen inches offset from the corner of the other monitor?

Thanks again.
Christian Studer   2001-01-09 06:40
Yes, no problem. You can arrange monitors in any way you like, the only condition is that they need to be connected together in at least a single point.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox G400 user asks: "What's real multimon like in Win2k?"