Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Need some advice on a Triple monitor steup
3lite   2003-06-22 05:54
Hello, I'm planning on setting up 3 monitors on my computer.
They would be: a 21" CRT in the middle and 2x 15" LCD's on both sides of the 21".

I'm just worried about game compatibility. Since I play games the most on my computer (I don't really work alot on it) ,I don't want 3x 17" LCD's (Even though that looks SOOOO cool),I want 1x 21" (My main gaming monitor - Oh yeah - I don't plan on playing one game on all three monitors - just on the 21") and 2x 15" LCD (One for my Xbox or TV - via TV card and the other one for the net, ICQ, MSn etc etc).

So here are my questions:
1. Could set it in ultramon, that whenever I start a game the mouse aoutomatically get "locked" to the primry monitor (21") and if I alt-tab from the game to the desktop I have normal desktop acsess over all 3 montors and if I go back to the game again the mouse gets locked to the 21" again?
2. My desktop would look something like a big upside down T. Can I drag windows across all three monitors?
3. If I maximise a window on the 21", will it only maimise on the 21", or over all 3 monitors?

Thanx.
3lite   2003-06-22 05:56
Oh yeah - the two LCD would be powered by 2x GeForce2 MX 400's (PCI). Would they slow my system down?
The_Magistrate   2003-06-22 08:12
Your question is one of a lot of people who are new to the whole multiple monitor scene. The answer to all of your questions is fairly simple.

1. When you want to play a game, and you only want it to be confined to one monitor, you should to disable the secondary monitor(s) in windows before you start the game. If you don't, the resolution, color settings and shape are usually affected on the secondary monitors because the game is using one monitor for one thing, and Windows is doing something else with the other(s). You can try to play a game with all the monitors on, but I wouldn't reccomend it. The beauty of UltraMon is that you can set it to disable the secondary monitors by double-clicking the system tray icon. So when you want to play a game, double click UltraMon to turn off the secondary monitors, play the game. When you are done, double click UltraMon again and the monitors are reenabled. It's really the simplest way to get around the problem.

2.Windows by default corrects this problem by "bumping" dragged windows inorder to keep them on the viewable area of the deaktop. Ex. If you were to drag a window from the top of you 21" monitor to the 15" monitor, Windows would automatically move the window downwards to accomodate the gap in size. Exactly how much the window is moved is dependant on the resolution of the screen on the monitor. So in essence, you will have no problem with dragging windows on your monitors.

3.UltraMon has a feature that supports what you are trying to do, but it works best with monitors showing all the same resloution. Windows by default will only maximse to the containing monitor and not to the whole desktop. UltraMon creates a button that allows you to maximise to all monitors, but it maximizes the window to the largest screen, so your window would be cut off on your two 15" monitors on the bottom. There is really no way to fix this except to resize the window by hand to fill all the monitors properly. But it's better than nothing.

So you can see, having multiple monitors isn't as scary as it seems at first. Ask anyone who has them and they'll tell you they wouldn't want to work on one monitor ever again. I hope I could help.

-- The_Magistrate
3lite   2003-06-22 18:04
Ok thank you, I will order the two 15"s right now!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Need some advice on a Triple monitor steup