Forums -> Multiple monitors -> need video card recommendation for 2D graphics dual monitor
Sheila   2003-06-22 12:28
I'm desperately trying to get dual monitors to live up to their potential.

I'm currently using the Gateway OEM Nvidia GEForce 2MX/400. It supports dual monitors (both DVI & Analog). The "newest drivers" won't work with it but I've got the 15.20 driver installed and functioning. While I can get both spanning and cloning to work the Desktop Disply Manager/Nview features don't all work properly. When I configure it to center dialog boxes on primary monitor and the box spans them. Most irritating. The problem with the older drivers I'm currently using, apparently, is that they don't support DualView (or independent displays) mode. I've already tried all settings for dialog positioning, and it just doesn't work correctly. There appears to be no way to fix the problem with dialogs using the older drivers.

I discovered UltraMon and had hoped it might do the trick. When I installed it it didn't recognize that I have 2 monitors (even though I'm currently USING 2!). In exploring Windows XP Device Manager also only sees that I have one monitor. Christian has been VERY helpful and explained that UltraMon won't see two monitors when spanned or cloned...they must be seen as separate. He suggests simply adding a PCI card to my current configuration and then he says I'll be good-to-go. I'm not 100% sure I have an empty slot and while I’m likely to have, I'm also not sure if I'd end up with an IRQ conflict if I add in a card.

Here are my needs:
* I do 2D graphics (never any 3D, movies or games)
* I'd like to use my new LCD (19" with 700:1 contrast) as my primary monitor with the task bar staying only on it and use the secondary 19" CRT monitor for Photoshop palettes and other secondary functions
* I need plenty of video RAM (I currently have 64 mg... I run Photoshop at same time as other graphic apps)
* I'd like the easiest implementation
* and the least expense
* It'd be nice to be able to run the second monitor at a different resolution than first (which current card can't do) in order to check website designs in two environments at once.

And here are my questions:
* do you agree there's no way to get this old card to function with two independent monitors?
* what video card would you recommend that would replace my current card and function correctly? I'm thinking something from Matrox since they're stronger on 2D.
* what video card would you recommend to add to my current system & work with the existing card?
* which approach is better?
* which card offers the best dual monitor management built in?
* any other thoughts to share on this topic?

Thanks so much.
Sheila

Sheila
ecarlson   2003-06-22 12:55
Which newer drivers have you tried? Those are rather old. Have you tried 40.72? or maybe 41.09? If they work, they should solve your problems.

If they don't work, consider getting any new $100 NVidia dual-out card. My PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 card works fine with dual monitors with different settings.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Sheila   2003-06-23 04:55
Yes, I realize they're old. I tried the newest one Gateway posts which is version 6.13.10.3082
(5/5/2003) and I also just downloaded and tried the newest one at NVidia. Neither worked. Gateway offers the following info:

GeForce2 MX400 May Display a Black Screen or Have No Video When Entering Windows XP After Loading NVIDIA Drivers Later Than Version 15.20

ISSUE: A computer with GeForce2 MX400 graphics card, part number 6002022, may display a black screen or have no video after the Microsoft® Windows® XP splash screen appears when connected to the DVI (digital) connector on an LCD monitor. The LCD monitor displays video properly if the VGA (analog) connector is used. The LCD monitor may appear to go into power saving mode, or the power LED may turn amber. If connected to the DVI connector on the LCD monitor, the computer may have video when starting in Safe mode. This only occurs after loading NVIDIA drivers from Windows Update or by installing an NVIDIA driver later than version 15.20.

RESOLUTION:
Note: NVIDIA driver version 15.20 must be used. This can be reinstalled from the Gateway Drivers CD that you received with your computer.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about just buying a new card. I'm leaning toward Matrox P650. I'd wanted a Matrox when I got this computer 1.5 yrs. ago. It's excellent for 2D work. I'd rather swap a card then add a card, just because I'm not totally sure what I have in there until I open it up and I'd rather not do that a lot (like just to check it).

Thanks,
ecarlson   2003-06-23 11:44
Sounds like a new card is the way to go. Let us know what you end up doing.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> need video card recommendation for 2D graphics dual monitor