Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Display Card Question
mindabsence   2003-06-25 10:44
I am looking at a few PowerColour ATI cards that have both DVI and CRT display plugs. I was wondering is it fully possible to run 2 monitors on a card with both plugs using an adapter so that I can plug my normal monitor in the DVI slot, I have heard and read LOTS of problems with stuff like that. Should I bother with cards like that or just get another card, if so what cheap priced but good cards should I look into??

My system is:
Windows XP Pro
Intel P-3 1000

Thanks a lot!
Christian Studer   2003-06-25 11:04
There are almost no cards with dual VGA ports, even dual DVI cards are more common. The old Matrox G450 has dual VGA, another solution would be to use 2 cards (AGP + PCI).

Personally I've had no problems with using a DVI-to-VGA adapter with both the ATI and Nvidia cards I used.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Barton   2003-06-25 11:25
In my home system, I am running all digital but at my office, I am running an older ATI Radeon VE, which has a VGA and a DVI out, and have two CRT's attached using a DVI-VGA adapter on one of the outputs and have experienced no problems.

Personally, I would stay away from ATI clones. I have read a number of reviews from users who have experienced problems with Powercolor and SapphireTech. My suggestion would be to stick to "built by ATI" cards.

That's my two cents worth.
ecarlson   2003-06-25 13:37
My PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 works fine with a DVI-VGA adapter on one of the two monitors. But I haven't tried any ATI-based dual-output cards, so I don't know about your situation.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Display Card Question