Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows 2000 SP4 troubles
Philip   2003-07-04 03:00
I recently installed SP4 to Win2000, and it has caused a serious problem with my multi monitor setup. My config was AGP GeForce 4 ti 4200 64mb, PCI TNT-2 Vanta 16mb, AGP set to init first.

The PCI video seemed to switch off randomly (the screen would not go blank, but the display wouldn't refresh and when the pointer was moved to that screen it disappeared. When this happened, the whole machine locked up within a few seconds.

I upgraded to the latest drivers (44.03), and that didn't change anything. I also swapped changed PCI slot - again, no change. I am currently using an old ATI Rage 3D 8mb card (PCI init first) and all is stable.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'd much rather have the AGP card as primary in the BIOS.
ecarlson   2003-07-04 04:40
Why do you care which card is primary in BIOS. You can set whichever card you want as primary in Windows 2000.

Do you have 2 monitors on your Ti4200 card? and if so, did SP4 cause any problems with your Ti4200 card? I have a Ti4200 card running my 2 monitors, and I plan to install SP4.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Philip   2003-07-04 04:57
I'd just rather have the bios and boot up sequence on the main monitor. It's just me being picky.

I haven't tried running two monitors off the GF4 in a while. I did try (back in the 39.xx range of drivers, IIRC), but the performance on both was very poor, especially for 3D operations. If it's improved since then, I might give it a try.

I think it's more of a new incompatability between the two cards, rather than a multi-monitor issue in SP4.
ecarlson   2003-07-04 10:31
Thanks for the update. I don't do anything 3D, so I don't know how 3D performance is with my Ti4200, but 2D works great with dual monitors. I have to use the 41.09 drivers (or older) because Hibernate mode doesn't work with any newer drivers on my computer.

I'll install SP4 sometime soon.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows 2000 SP4 troubles