Forums -> Multiple monitors -> one video card or two?
bodosar   2003-07-05 08:55
Hi,

I was wondering which one is better for 2 monitors(both VGA) configuration, having two video cards (AGP + PCI) or just one card?

And If possible, list the advantages/disadvantages of both configurations.

System:
XP-PRO
Athlon 2600+
512 MB RAM

Thanks in advance
Abdul
ecarlson   2003-07-05 10:25
That is a good question. I hope we get some good answers.

I've only setup two dual-monitor systems (one at work , and one at home), so I don't have much to say about it. My home system uses a single Ti4200 card, and works very well. My work system has a PCI and an AGP card, because that's what we had sitting around. The card in my home system is better than each of the old cards in my work system, so it works better, but I think a good pair of new cards would do just as well as my single card at home.

I think the biggest difference would be with 3D apps, but I only use 2D apps, so I don't think it matters if I have one or two cards, as long as they are good cards.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
wedge   2003-07-07 00:03
To increase screen real estate you need two video outputs, either two on one card or one each on two cards. (these may be a combination of different display output types, such as vga, composite or S-Video)

You can split the signal from one video output into two, but each new output is an image of the other.

Wedge
wedge   2003-07-07 00:10
Oh yeah, the question. If one card if adequate for your requirements then this is better, due to lower power consumption, less heat build up inside the case. This equals reliability and longetivety of components. However if you want to regularly push both monitors, then chuck in two cards and share out the load. Each card will run better than one card on it's own (and cooler, although there will be a net heat increase due to having two cards).

Wedge
kyle   2003-07-23 08:33
ecarleson mentioned a difference with 3d apps... which way is it? For 3d apps should It go 1 really good card or 2 not so good ones... Im guessing that it's 1 really good one...
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> one video card or two?