Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Two video cards and overall system performance
dderolph   2003-07-09 10:55
I get the impression from looking through these forum messages that many people are as concerned about the performance capabilities of the secondary video card as much as the primary card.

I'm new at working with multiple monitors. Just yesterday, I decided to try this, using an ATI XPert 98 pci card with 8 MB that has not been used for 2 or 3 years (was pulled for an upgrade) for the second monitor (also had an extra monitor sitting around). My main video card is a PNY GeForce4 MX440se 64MB DDR AGP Video Card. Other system specs: 600 MHZ Duron processor, 384 MB RAM, 7200 rpm hd, Win 98SE.

I realize that ATI card I'm using is low powered compared to newer cards, but I really haven't noticed a slow down in overall performance since setting up the two monitors. I'm not a gamer. I have a second computer that used to be my primary computer but is not getting used much now. It has a Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI card in it, with 32 MB memory; I might consider swapping it with the ATI card.

So, what's the scoop on choosing a second video card as far as performance is concerned?

David DeRolph
ecarlson   2003-07-09 12:32
If you're not a gamer, you might not notice much difference. I have an even older card as my second card at work, and I can see the second screen redraw slightly more slowly than the primary, especially when I move windows around, but it doesn't really slow down my apps any.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Two video cards and overall system performance