Forums -> Multiple monitors -> More RAM vs. More Speed (Videocard)
Brett   2003-07-28 02:18
I am thinking of upgrading my videocard and was wondering, what would be better more RAM or more speed.

I can get either a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra 128mb or a GeForceFX 5600 (nonUltra) 256mb for the same price. Speed difference is approximatley 20% on max settings and resolution.

My theory is I will be driving two monitors and the additional RAM will help more than the additional speed. Is this correct?

Brett

-BTW feel free to make other suggestions on cards, I have 2 LCD's with max resolution of 1280x1024. Although I run them at 1024x768 typically. I can afford to spend between $150 and $250 dollars. And perfer NVIDIA due to strong previous positive experience, although others are not out of question.

Primary use is coding or school work. I play a new PC game once every 3 or 4 months.
Barton   2003-07-28 08:25
Brett,

For $109.99 from newegg.com, The ASUS V9520 Video Suite is tough to beat. I just bought two of them and used one to build a dual monitior system for a friend of mine and she does about what you do (some coding, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) mostly 2D and every now and then, maybe a game. The card works great with the 44.03 drivers from nVidia. I have the second one as a spare in case my main card flips.

If you're not going to do much gaming and just need a good dual-DVI card (by the way, it comes with two DVI-VGA adapters) this one is hard to beat. 128mb, 400mHz RAMDAC, AGP 8X AND DX9 support and built on the nVidia FX5200 engine. Granted you could by better, but for $110 bucks, DAMN!

Barton
Brett   2003-07-28 10:36
Even with the 5200 which would be better a faster clock speed or more ram, your suggestion for a dual-dvi card is good, and something I thought was out of my price range.

BTW you mentioned newegg.com. They are excellent, and anyone reading this post should check them out! I have ordered several times from them with no glitches. Even had a TI4200 on one of my PCs go dead AFTER 2 months and they gave me a FULL Refund =P.

-Brett
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> More RAM vs. More Speed (Videocard)