Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 monitors, windows 2000 pro, ati 9500 pro, ati mach 64
VonWolfman   2003-08-15 13:09
OK i could use a little help here, i can get two monitors running fine off the ati 9500 pro, primary and secondary ports. I wanted to add a third so i dug out my old pci video cards. I have an s3 virge dx and a ati mach64. Both cards give me the same problem. I change the boot up in cmos to boot pci first.. windows 2k boots up.. everything looks fine, systray stuff starts to load and then REBOOT. Doesnt matter which card i try, both do it. If i go back to agp in cmos, i can boot on the 9500 pro, but windows cannot load the pci secondary.
I have tried older drivers for the ati 9500 , wiht and without control panel installed, and nothying seems to matter, even removed the ati card, loaded the pci first.. then added the agp.. same thing every time.

any suggestions?
Digitldrug   2003-08-17 08:10
Well,
I'm game for taking a stab at this one. First, to get more info, we need to turn off the "auto-reboot cause I feel like it" "feature".

right click my computer, properties, go to the advanced tab in the window that pops up, then click on the settings button under "startup and recovery"

In the window that follows uncheck the box that reads "automatically restart"

now when the machine takes a dive, you will be able to get the error code and offending file to find out why.

On a side note, the problem could also be some sort of irq conflict on the motherboard. (Thats reaching, but without more info on your computer . . . make, motherboard, age, chipset, . . . ) Have you tried another pci slot?

And finally, (and this one is reeeeeaaaally reaching) do you have any other types of pci cards laying around? If you've got some El Cheapo system, or a compaq : >) it could be that your power supply is just a POS and can't handle the power draw. A good way to test that is to throw in some cards that should work (and I don't mean winmodems, or software based network cards) to tax the power supply. If it still crashes we may have found the culprit. Really, a complete rundown of the system, what cards are installed, and the power supply wattage and make could rule this out.

Well, I've probably confused you enough.

Good Luck!

- DigitlDrug
VonWolfman   2003-08-18 13:16

OK im going to try that startup and recovery thing.. i am running a abit kd7 mobo.
I bought it like 4 months ago. 2500+ barton.
I have a 400w enermax installed for power, so i think it can handle the load.

i'll get back tomorrow wiht an error code i hope.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 monitors, windows 2000 pro, ati 9500 pro, ati mach 64