Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Linux answer to pivot pro?
Nick   2003-08-21 15:28
I've been using multiple mons in win xp for a few weeks now, the primary in front sitting normal and the secondary to the right on it's side running pivot pro to flip it 90 degrees.

I like this set up a lot.

I have recently installed mandrake 9.1 and would love to find a way to flip the secondary monitor in there.

Also it is recognizing the secondary from my windows system (sis 6326 pci) as the primary and the primary as the secondary (ATI rage fury pro) any idea on how I'd change that? And if I can't flip the monitor can I disable it (Which would cause problems since mandrake is registering the sideways one as primary!!)?
Bill Malone   2003-10-04 11:02
I have been having similar probs,
I am a newbie to Linux (Mandrake 8.2)
So I don't know how much use this is.
I have been trying to get two monitors
on two seperate video cards (PCI) running.
I managed it once using the Xinerama setup, but
that seemed to force me to use the same resolution
on both monitors. I have the feeling that
currently there is no way to get seperate settings
on multiple monitors, thogh I did read something
about a multiple monitor tool called enlightenment.
Windows didn't have too many problems, as you
seemed to notice yourself. Post back if you
find the answer, please. I also read about
tinkering with X config files but I don't
want a face full of monitor glass!!!! This stuff
costs money after all, and sometimes
I am a bit dim!!!
Leroy Brown   2003-10-12 17:17
Nick & Bill,
Dual/Triple/etc Monitors in linux really isn't too bad. You just need to be willing to learn a little bit about how to configure XFree86. Your best bet is to use xinerama so that the 2 screens act as 1 large screen (win32 does it this way). I think the best thing to do is to read this how-to:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Xinerama-HOWTO.html

I would suggest reading it twice- once for a general overview & vocab, the second time through with your specific setup in mind.

XF86Config may seem scary at first, but in the world of ultra-configuratbility (linux), one needs to be used to text-file configurations.

Bill: your concern about your hardware is appropriate, but is likely not needed anymore. Most modern monitors have safety measures in place to prevent damage to the monitor, and especially the user (remember the producer is sue-able). If you want something to worry about, make sure you get the vsync and hsync values right.

Nick: A rotation is rather easy. Just add the following line into the corresponding 'screen section' in your XF86Config file:
Option "rotate" "ccw"
"CCW" is for counter-clockwise; "cw" would be for clockwise. This assumes a 90 degree rotation. (I'm not sure of an easy way to do any other angels.)

Best of luck guys. And, let me know how it works out or if you have other questions.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Linux answer to pivot pro?