Forums -> Multiple monitors -> odd MS Word and Excel behavior
mkosma   2003-09-02 02:04
My firm is stuck on Word 97 and Excel 97 under Win98. So I know the real answer is an upgrade, but just in case someone remembers another possible solution...

I have dual monitors that rotate, and I like to keep one in landscape and one in portrait mode. That way I have available whatever mode is most appropriate.

Used to be I had monitor 1 in landscape mode. Whenever I ran Word or Excel, windows on monitor 1 (landscape) functioned correctly. However, on monitor 2 (portrait), I could maximize the window to the screen, but "maximized" child windows would expand to the max *landscape* dimensions.

Recently, I switched monitor 1 to portrait and monitor 2 to landscape. Today I noticed that now all the word and excel child windows seem to work as expected for portrait mode, but maximize incorrectly in landscape mode. (In fact, even unmaximized, I cannot even drag the child window boundaries to wider than portrait width on the landscape screen.)

So it appears that Word and Excel get their monitor size information from Monitor #1. Is this a known bug / limitation in the Office 97 products? Anybody have any idea for a registry tweak or some other possible workaround?

thanks,

monty
ecarlson   2003-09-02 12:57
MS Access 97 also has it's own problems with dual displays. Some drop down menus will only pop up on the primary display, even with NVidia's Nview running to keep menus on the same monitor as the app. MS Access 2000 works fine with dual monitors and NView.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> odd MS Word and Excel behavior