Forums -> Multiple monitors -> PCI Card for Sapphire 9000 Pro
Doug   2003-09-02 05:35
Hi,

I sent this message but so far haven't gotten any advice. Can someone help with the request below.

I have a Sapphire 9000Pro AGP Video Card and am looking to add a PCI card with Dual Monitor Capablity. Problem is when I added the ATI 7000VE PCI Card it Conflicts (in NOT Compatible) with the 9000Pro AGP Card. I was forced to remove it from my system.

Can anyone suggest a Good PCI Card that IS Compatible with the Sapphire 9000Pro AGP Video Card and is reasonably priced?
Barton   2003-09-02 10:47
I have heard of numerous problems with Sapphire (and Powercolor) cards and numerous conflicts that occur. Even though they run ATI chips, there can be conflicts with other "ATI" cards.

One question. What chipset is on you mobo? Intel or SIS? Post the specs of your system. If you're not sure, go to Belarc.com and download and run "Belarc Advisor."

Barton
Doug   2003-09-03 03:05
Hi Barton,

I ran the Balarc adviser and here are the results. Thanks for helping out with this.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) americanfuture A7N8X2.0 REV 1.xx

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2066 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Circuit Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 ACPI BIOS Rev 1003 03/19/2003

Drives: Memory Modules c,d
122.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
118.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ARTEC WSM-52X [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1621 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y120L0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 0 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Memory:
Slot 'DDR1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DDR2' is Empty
Slot 'DDR3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 122.93 GB 118.49 GB free

HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript on LPT1:

Controllers:
Standard floppy disk controller
NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Display:
SAPPHIRE RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS PRO [Display adapter]
SAPPHIRE RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS PRO - Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n HMFTA02380, October 2002)
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n H4KT600513, June 2002)

Bus Adapters:
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Multimedia:
Creative Game Port
Creative SB Live! series
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Communications:
Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem
NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter
Network Card MAC Address: 00:0C:6E:25:4A:F7
Network IP Address: 192.168.1.202 / 24

Other Devices:
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
Doug   2003-09-04 07:21
Still hoping someon can give me advice on which PCI card will be compatible with the Sapphire 9000Pro AGP Card.

Thanks.
Barton   2003-09-04 08:44
Doug,

Well, the BIOS is probably not the issue since you're running AMD. I thought XP Home might also be the issue, but according to MS, home supports multiple monitors.

Try this. Remove everything from your system except the AGP card (sound, NIC, modem, you get the idea, all other PCI devices) disable your serial ports (you probably don;t need them anyway) in the BIOS and install the AGP card. Boot up and make sure there are no hardware conflicts.

Add the PCI video card (skip the PCI slot nearest the AGP slot) and boot up again. If you still have a conflict, try going to the BIOS and making the PCI the primary video device.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure where to tell you to turn next, short of a dual-head card.

Good let and let me know what happens.

Barton
Doug   2003-09-05 08:28
Hi Barton,

Thanks for the info. Only problems are:

1) How do I disable the serial ports?
2) Do I have to uninstall the software for the Sound Card or Modem? (To absolutely eliminate conflicts) Incidentally, before I was getting a message about IRQ Conflicts when I tried to install the PCI Card without disabling the ports.

3)Once I have disabled the ports and I have put both cards in (the AGP in its Slot and the PCI in one of the PCI Slots) do I load the ATI 7000 VE PCI Software or not. This is an older card than the Sapphire 9000 Pro AGP Card.

4)Then is their an order for putting back the Sound and Modem cards or it doesn't matter.

Any other tips before I dive in and give this a try?

Thanks.
Doug   2003-09-08 00:12
Barton

Hope you had a good weekend. Still need a little help answering the above questions before I Disable the Ports.

Thanks.
Barton   2003-09-08 07:11
Doug,

Sorry for the long delay. Was out of town most of last week and just got back. I'll try to answer these in order.

1. Disabling the serial ports sould be available in the BIOS. Not sure where this would be on in the BIOS since I don'e have access to your PC. You'll just have to look around. To access the BIOS, you shouls have to press the F8 or the "Delete" key when booting up. I believe ASUS has that display at the bottom of the screen when you're booting up (unless you have the big ASSU graphic showing).

2. You should have to de-install the sound card or modem drivers. If they're not present, the drivers will not load.

3. I would not attempt to load the driver initially. Actually, if you can just install the AGP card and get a good driver install with no conflicts, I would then make an image (Norton Ghost) of your C: drive (after you get all of the windows updates). This way, if you screw something up, you can "re-image" your drive and start again.

If after booting up with the AGP card in and all drivers working correctly, then shutdown and install the PCI card in a PCI slot (not the one next to the AGP slot) and re-boot. If it wants to install drivers, let it. Then check your device manager and see what conflicts exist. If all is OK, then on to the "Monitor" setup.

4. Nah! If you're have high speed access, you really don't need the modem (unless you do faxing from the PC). One thing I have noticed with XP is that about every card or phreperial you add, XP recognizes it and very litte if any drivers need to be added (of course there is always an exception to the rule).

If you want to reach me outside of this forum, write me at "barton@blbright.com" and I'll try to help. If you have high speed access, we can do netmeeting to link the PC's and maybe I can help you figure out what's going on.

I'll be a little more diligent about keeping up with this post.

Barton
kuglvinkl   2003-09-08 11:14
IMHO: the troublemaker is MB (nForce 2).

I have Epox 8rda+ and if i want to run PCI card, i have to disable AGP to PCI Bridge.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> PCI Card for Sapphire 9000 Pro