Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Twinview & Win2k
Mitch   2001-01-30 01:01
Hi all,

I'm considering the purchase of a Leadtek Geforce2 Mx DH card to run
dual monitors under Win2k at 1152x864x32bpp 75hz refresh (each monitor).
Everything I've read about running dual screen in 2K on a SINGLE card
says that dual screen desktop management blows unless you have TWO
cards, and it's up to the TwinView drivers to handle this stuff. I
currently run dual Elsa Synergy1 cards under NT, and LOVE their desktop
manager drivers, but need to upgrade to get better OpenGl support. The concerns I have about the Twinview drivers under 2K are this...

1. Does Twinview prevent dialog boxes, file requestors, and popup
windows from coming up split between the two screens?

2. How is "maximizing to a single screen" handled? With my current Elsa
cards, there is and added button to each application window that does
this function. I could not live without this feature!

3. Are there any quirks with programs that have lots of little windows
that are frequently opened and closed? I use 3ds Max, and I need all
those little windows to remember their last position when
re-opened...even after quitting and restarting the program.

Depending on how much trouble I can expect with this card and Twinview under W2k, I may opt instead to get a Geforce2 GTS agp card and a TNT2 pci card. It will cost me almost twice as much, but if it's worth it....

Thanks,
Mitch
Mitch   2001-01-30 01:03
One more question. Would I be able to run a Geforce2 GTS agp card with my existing NON-Nvidia Elsa synergy1 pci card under W2k and still get OpenGL support on the Primary monitor? I don't really need 3d accel on the second monitor, and this would save me some $$.

Thanks,
Mitch
EZToms   2001-01-31 01:31
A few answers...

1. Yes, twinview drivers handles this and most pop up etc.. are correctly handled

2. You have a desktop manager, it remembers the settings for each application, eg: maximise to destop or to monitor.

3. Depends on the software, didn't tried 3dsmax, but with some application palletes tends to get back to the primary when restarted, this can be solved i believe

4. With Twinview, you get accelerated opengl on both screen, most combination of 2 cards won't let you have opengl on both monitors

EZToms
Pete Brubaker   2001-02-10 04:45
I'm in the same boat mitch. I cant justify spending the money on the geforce2 MX, or the quadro2 MXR at the moment. They really arent that much faster than the Geforce 256 DDR that I have.

I wish someone would come out with a card that had dual geforce2 gts or ultra chips on the same agp card, and tricked 2000 into thinking the card in there was two different displays. *(Hey nVIDIA HINT HINT HINT!!!)*

I really only need opengl and direct3d on my primary monitor as well. I am determined to find a solution. Currently it appears that there could be two solutions. One get nVIDIA to write a better OpenGL ICD that supports multiple nVIDIA cards (how hard could that be) or to by a Wildcat 4210, because from what I have read on that Synergy III, the MX is not much better than the Geforce 1.

Pete

"If you speak the truth, you never have to remember what you say."

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~megaman
Cabe   2001-05-06 04:38
Unfortunatly its completely out of the quetion to get a "Dual AGP graphics card" its all in the name, AGP spands for Advanced Graphics PORT, its not a bus and has a 1:1 relationship with the card. But if it were on the PCI bus you would get rubbish throughput for those demanding "Realtime 3d rendering applications" :)
Thesync   2001-11-11 05:32
AGP doesn't stand for Advanced graphics port.. its Accelerated Graphics Port... Im also looking for Dual monitor support. I think im going to try a cheaper PCI card paired with my GeForce 2 GTS card.. I havent played games in a while anyway so I don't guess that matters to me anymore..
YooK   2002-01-30 05:59
so...
will a Gforce2 GTS Agp + a Gforce2 MX pci will suit for dual screen config under win2k ?
no conflict ?
Gforce2 GTS driver is working also for the Gf2 MX pci ? same display manager ? enlight me :)
Rod M   2002-01-31 19:39
ok i can answer the 3dsmax question anyway :) on my dual monitor/card setup. MAX always remembers the position of it's windows.i believe it's written to one of the progs .ini files.closing and restarting the prog has no effect it always remembers where you last put stuff,photoshop is the same,as are most "pro quality" apps.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Twinview & Win2k