Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help With New Card
Mindabsence   2003-09-07 03:52
I'm looking to buy a new card to replace the two I am using now for a two monitor system here are some of the affordable cards I am looking at (I don't have a large budget for this)

* MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB
* MSI GeForce 4 MX440 128MB
* ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB
* ATI Radeon 9200 128MB

These are the list of cards that I have been looking at that seem really good and are in my budget. I am really leaning on getting the MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB which will replace both my older cards with one card.
I am only doing this once and want to make sure I get a good card that will be compatible with new games and perform good.

I am hoping you guys can give me your opinions on if you think I should get that card or which other one on the list would maybe be better or maybe one that is around my budget that I haven't included that would be better.
Mangyrat   2003-09-07 04:31
none are good game cards. i have the 5200 and it works fine as a dual set up but realy sucks at new games. as for the ati cards you listed all are low end cards also. your a lot better off getting a mid range card like the ati 9600 pro just shop around you can find it for like $124 or so. if you buy a cheap card you get a cheap card i tryed around 8 diferent cards when i went duals and i ended up with the ati 9700pro for my game rig and the FX 5200 for my back up computer. ill be replaceing the 5200 its just to slow in games.
Mindabsence   2003-09-07 09:17
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look around. With the 5200 is it so slow that just the average person would notice it or would I have to compare it to a few cards before I would notice?
Mangyrat   2003-09-07 14:28
the 5200 is realy not that slow if you dont play demanding games like planetside. it may work out fine for you. im in to the best looking grafic's i can get so when i have to start lowering setting to get a game to play good i get a new video card. its hard for me to tell some one to get the fx5200 when i dont know what kinda gamer they are or what hardware you have in your computer. if you payed what's it cost now $60 for the 5200? "i payed over $100 for mine when it first came out and i knew it was a slow card back then" and in 3 or 4 month's you get a game like half life 2 your gona be pissed when you have to run it at low settings just to play it.
i still say save some more cash and get the ati 9600 youl not be disapointed with it.
but if you just cant save that much think GF 4ti 4200 for $77 its a lot faster than every card you listed and the 64meg ver is fine for todays games you realy dont have to have 128 megs of video ram.
i cant think of one game that needs 128 megs yet.
some games will use the extra mem but dont demand it. oh if you do look at gf 4 ti 4200 make shur its dual monitor suported some dont have both dvi and vga conectors.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help With New Card